Insulated garage doors

Vijay

Just went to the Hormann local dealers to look at their garage doors. Although I would be happy with the doors themselves, when I asked about the seals around the doors, they were pretty clueless. After a few minutes of looking, they just seem to use a rubber seal/flap which didn't even stop daylight coming through. It bugs me that you could buy an insulated door but the seals around the frame would just let air in and heat out.

Please tell me there's a better door/seal available out there?

Cheers

Vijay

I'm afraid I don't know of any better seals than what are normally available but I do agree with you 100%.

This has always been an irritant to me, ok, it's only a garage, but surely a warmer garage is better, especially if you work in it a lot.

Hi.  I have a Hormann insulated garage door and am very pleased with it.  No daylight visible, and certainly no draughts.  Maybe they are just thrown together for display.  The seal on mine squashes up nicely when compressed.  I suspect care in fitting  is the key.

Colin

I can confirm that the Seceuroglide insulated roller door we have (a 3m wide one) shows no light at all, at either the sides or the bottom, when it's closed.  The sides run in a channel that's lined with brush seals, the bottom has a very flexible hollow rubber seal.  We did make the threshold very flat and smooth, though, using a mould to form a slightly curved edge to the slab with the smooth section projecting in around 100mm or so, to form a seat for the door seal.  This moulded in edge also has a slight outward fall on it to ensure water always runs out.  The slab itself is just a power floated surface at the moment, and is around 2mm higher than the flat moulded area where the door seats.  This wasn't something I specified on the drawings, it was something the guys laying the slab asked me if I wanted, as they had the kit to do this.