New Roof issues/advice

Roof Forum

Hi Everyone

I am new to the forum, but looking for some expert advice.

I have had my roof replaced in the last few weeks. The finish of the work really concerns me. Although I have raised them with the roofer they have told me it is my issue as there is nothing wrong with it. I keep disagreeing but I don’t have the knowledge or language to help me respond in a more informed way.

It is a small semi-detached roof, they replaced from sarking up, with breathable membrane, battens, tiles of my choice and in starting the work were was a lot of rotting on the out riggers and the fascias and soffits and all these had to be replaced as well, alongside guttering.

The roof they have completed is completely uneven. It raises to the gable end and also slightly to the shared wall. Not all the tiles are attached evenly, the pitched slope isn’t even and the last row of tiles looks really out of place. Across each row of tiles you can also see some unevenness. They have used tile pins to hold bits together, they are meant to be interlocking tiles but the joins aren’t tight. There are some gaps (a lot of gaps), and down the far sides there are also spaces (between tile and roof) but they have said all these things are normal.  I have had people from all over my neighbourhood come to speak to me to offer support because they can also see what a bad job has been done. But to have some expert advice would be really helpful. One of my neighbours has said the dry verge has not been bonded but I don’t really know what this means and the roofing company keep dismissing it. What I can see is gaps between the dry verge at the upper most point of the roof and as it joins the gutter (it slightly juts out). They have chipped away at the rough casting where the dry verge is to deal with the slope but left gaps where water can run down the back of the rough casting.

I am making some assumptions with my little knowledge. I assume there should be no gaps in the inter locking tiles, I am assuming the last row of tiles looks out of place… basically lots of assumptions. Oh also they have used sterling board for the sarking and along the gable wall it is not attached to the rafters, they have told me that doesn’t matter. Again I have questioned it and I am getting nowhere. I am doing everything to keep civil but it is getting harder. I have emailed them with all my concerns, including the price for the quality of work, they won’t respond in writing (obviously) even though I keep asking them. I have kept a log of each conversation. They have been mildly threatening in tone and have accused me on more than one occasion of having OCD.

They are coming this week to attempt to fix, again. I would really like to be able to confidently say the things that are wrong and why. If they don’t fix I am going to have to spend money on a surveyor to inspect the work. My last resort is going to be to try and retrieve some financial compensation to get it redone.  I am adding pictures, as clear as I can get them, but they are an example of the overall work. I can’t tell you how much I would appreciate any knowledge, thoughts or advice. I know I have ended up being convinced to over spend, more than likely been overcharged and ended up with a poor quality finish. I can’t quite believe I have allowed this to happen, but it is amazing how quickly you can be convinced that your house is in real danger, very quickly.

Thanks in advance.

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image6.jpeg

image7.jpeg

image8.jpeg

image9.jpeg

image10.jpeg

image11.jpeg