Red Label insulation underliner paper

TryC

Hi All,

Has anyone used or have any experience with Red Label insulation under liner paper? it is made up of polystyrene and you stick it on your walls to help keep in heat.

I am in the process of removing it, and whilst it is relatively easy (albiet, it is leaving behind some bobble marks on the wall), the wall seems to either have paste or paint on it, and I cannot remove it i.e. it is not peelable. I cannot remember if it was painted before or whether it is the paste for the red label that is all dried out.

It isn't peeling like the paint in one of my other rooms, and I am not sure if I can now just apply the new insulation liner on this unmovable paste - I am not sure if it will be securely attached on the wall for example. I had initially peeled all the peeling paint in the other room because I thought that just lining it, the paper would just stick to the peeling paint versus the actual wall, so I painstakingly peeled off as much paint as I could.

In in the room with the red label, I scrap the wall and cannot get a patch to peel and it seems like the paint/paste residue is firmly on the wall - so is this OK to paste over with the new insulation paper?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

38 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Both. 100⁰C water is the universal solvent.

ah thanks for clarfying!

Is there a point removing it if it is indeed stuck on the wall very firmly? (at least it is not peeling is my worry, that sticking something on something that is peeling is not great but if it is firmly stuck, should I still ideally remove?)

Will I damage the walls by steaming?