References and previous work

Hi All,

I'm currently looking to go through the package company route for a first time self build. I've been talking to a handful of companies however I seem to be hitting a brick wall. The package companies are either:
1 - Happy for us to talk to previous clients but we can't visit previous work
2 - Happy for us to visit a current build but will not provide previous client references
For peace of mind, I'd imagine it is absolutely important to see both their work and talk to previous clients. Has anyone been in a similar position and offer any advice? Should I simply cross off the company? 

Is there anything in particular I should look out for before choosing a company? I have taken a look at companies house to get an idea of the financial stability but wondering if there is anything else i'm missing?

Many thanks!

It does seem odd. 

When we were looking around at suppliers, all offered us the chance to see either completed houses (with the owners consent) or see houses under construction, and most had previous customers as references.   Similarly, I've been asked by the company who built our house if I'd mind chatting to potential customers, and in a few cases, giving them a look round.  I've agreed to this, on the basis that I can be completely honest with anyone that asks.

Having seen one potential supplier's standard of build on a small development (which was dire) I'd say that it's really important to have a look at the previous work, and get references, of anyone that you're thinking of spending so much money with, and I'd be a bit suspicious if a supplier was unwilling to let you do this.

19 hours ago, Oz07 said:

Seems odd. How many have you tried? Perhaps previous client don't want every potential new customer traipsing thru their door. Understandable I suppose 

I have narrowed down my list to 3 companies (based on service they will offer and build type) and I got the responses above from two of them. That is exactly what one of the companies said, which I understand but there does seem to be resistance in even asking if a previous client is willing.

18 hours ago, JSHarris said:

It does seem odd. 

When we were looking around at suppliers, all offered us the chance to see either completed houses (with the owners consent) or see houses under construction, and most had previous customers as references.   Similarly, I've been asked by the company who built our house if I'd mind chatting to potential customers, and in a few cases, giving them a look round.  I've agreed to this, on the basis that I can be completely honest with anyone that asks.

Having seen one potential supplier's standard of build on a small development (which was dire) I'd say that it's really important to have a look at the previous work, and get references, of anyone that you're thinking of spending so much money with, and I'd be a bit suspicious if a supplier was unwilling to let you do this.

I agree, I am trying to push both companies to allow me to visit a site/talk to references but I don't feel I should be having to try convince them to do this, so it is a little frustrating.

I've never had a problem getting references either.  Every builder I've dealt with has been more than happy to show off his work, and consequently, I've been happy to speak to prospective clients and if required, show them our house.  

Thanks for your replies, all. The companies seem to divide this into 3 sections:
1 - References to talk to previous clients
2 - Opportunity to see a build in progress
3 - Opportunity to view an almost-completed / completed build

It is number (3) that seems to be the sticky point, as they have mentioned that clients don't like to have people visiting their property, which I can understand, but it does seem the opposite to some of your comments. Am I being too fussy in trying to request all 3 points above?

I've had another company allow me to view an almost-complete build (3) but refuse to give any references of previous clients (1). I'll probably avoid this company if I'm unable to chat to a client.

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

Jeremy you do seem to be an extraordinarily helpful bloke though and also passionate about low energy builds!

Thanks for the kind words, and sorry if the low energy thing gets a bit much at times!

I'm afraid I've always taken the view that you get out of life as much as you're prepared to put in, and that helping others, in turn helps them to help more people, so, with a bit of luck, perhaps it  helps to make us all a bit more altruistic, making a sort of virtuous circle.  This attitude does backfire from time to time, though, as I've had more than one person exploit my belief that learning, and then sharing what you've learned with others, is something they could exploit for personal gain.

What really motivates me are the changes I've seen in my lifetime, from a society where learning how to, and then doing things yourself, sharing that learned experience with others, and taking pride in doing that, change into a society where fixing things, or making things yourself, are seen as weird hobbies, with the "normal" thing being to just chuck stuff away that stops working, go and buy something new, or pay someone to do something you could do yourself, without a thought as to how rewarding it would be to use your own resources and then pass on what you've learned to others.

• Like 2