Roadway repair options?

Tony K

Hi

I have agreed a deal with my neighbours whereby I get some temporary vehicular access to my SB plot across their private roadway, and in return I will fix a few holes in that surface. 

There are three or four areas similar to that shown here.

I had originally thought to cut out a neat edge around the broken areas with my large angle grinder, remove everything inside the area, then use tarmac to repair it, having applied fixing solution to the fresh edges, and then melt fixing strips on top of the joins. My concern was that tarmac might not do well with the rebar which is in the current surface construction, and I am not sure that removing the rebar is a good idea.

When I spoke to one supplier today (Meon UK) they suggested I use their Hardmaster w615 stuff, which is like a flowing concrete you mix with water and pour in. This stuff operates in depths between 30mm and 250mm. As you would expect, I have to remove any debris and loose bits, apply some sort of sealant to the exposed rebar to prevent it rusting, then pour the stuff in. They advised me to create a neat edge if possible, though apparently it's not essential so long as the edge is stable. The problem with this method is that there are lots of areas where I would have to break out pretty stable, sound material just to create at least 30mm of depth to pour the W615 into. The damaged areas are like mini craters - deep in the middle but progressively more shallow to nothing towards the edges.

Even with a slightly different product (Meon do a W660 which seems to operate between 10mm and 100mm) if I feather it out at the edges I will naturally be creating areas at the edges of the repair where it could split, crack, fail etc. 

If anyone has any experience of doing decent, but economical repairs to roadways I would be interested in your opinion. 

Thanks 

5 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

That picture looks like concrete, why would you repair concrete with tarmac ?

Kango out the broken sections then straighten up the reinforcement, don’t cut it out and re concrete. 

Tamp it to match the original finish. 

I was tempted by tarmac simply because of the available edge treatments. You can buy some sort of spray to apply to the edges of the excavated area, and a sealing strip to melt on top of the edge of new repair. These things apparently combine to prevent cracks at the edges when liquid gets in and turns to ice in winter. 

What sort of mix of concrete / sand would you use then, and would you want to include any special treatment (fibres etc) for the mix?

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

If your building a new house just get the groundwork crew to get it chopped out ready for when you do the foundations, then order a bit more concrete and fill them in at the end of the day. 

Good idea. Ta very much for that.