Semi detached flat to pitch roof

YorkyD

Hello everyone,

I live in a semi-detached flat roof property and am planning a 2-floor rear extension.   Whilst I'm at it I'd like to ideally replace the felt roof with a pitched roof.

Would this need planning or would it be possible despite next door still staying as a flat roof?

Thanks

The existing main house has a flat roof, which you want to replace with a pitched roof? If so, then yes... it would need formal Planning as you’ll be increasing the overall height of the building. Whether the LPA would approve it is anybody’s guess. Are there other local properties who already have the design that may set a precedent?

Thanks for the reply.  Yes the existing main house has a flat roof which we want to replace with a pitched roof.  Other local properties which had the flat roof have converted to pitched roofs but these are both properties either side of the party wall.  Would planning pass only one property with a pitched roof despite the other property remaining as a flat roof?

LPA’s are always keen to try and maintain the symmetry and balance of semi-detached properties. If they offer it, you could look to seek the LPA’s pre-application advice before formally applying. I assume your attached neighbour has no interest in doing the same?

• 11 months later...