Lime pointing advice.

One for you period house restorers and barn converters..looming large on my 'to do' list is a fair amount of stone and brick repointing. Yes there is plenty of info on mix ratios and techniques online but I just thought I'd put it out there and see what real people may have learned during the process. The majority of existing to be pointed is coursed rubble sandstone with Victorian brick on some rear elevations.

Just now, SteamyTea said:

If you want your render to never dry properly, then choose lime.

Don't fall for all that nonsense about it being breathable and flexible.  You can mix ordinary Portland based cement to give you the same properties.

I'm only repointing, I don't actually have any rendering to do..some donut has pointed using sand cement, water has trapped behind it, frozen and destroyed the face of the stone, needs taking out and repointing. 

Just now, Coops said:

I'm only repointing, I don't actually have any rendering to do..some donut has pointed using sand cement, water has trapped behind it, frozen and destroyed the face of the stone, needs taking out and repointing. 

And if the same person had done it with lime, it would have been a double disaster.

Don't mix up bad workmanship with choice of materials.