Hi all! here for some architect advice

keiko909

Hey guys.

I'm working on a project that will be utilising shipping containers. 

I'll be posting with regards to floor plans. hopefully someone will have some experience in the field and would be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Michael

39 minutes ago, keiko909 said:

Hey guys.

I'm working on a project that will be utilising shipping containers. 

I'll be posting with regards to floor plans. hopefully someone will have some experience in the field and would be able to point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Michael

Interesting stuff. About five years ago I worked on designs for container conversion with a couple of companies that were doing this in the South of England. You can probably find some of their stuff on the net.

All the best. It can be done no doubt so look forward to your posts.

Hi Gus.

I've found quite a few of these companies, and have spoken with them. The problem I have is that I don't know how to create the required tech spec needed. When you worked on your project, did you do this yourself?

Thanks

Michael

Hi Keiko909

From memory and a bit of background. I said five years ago but it's probably a bit more than that, but less than ten. I was designing a lot of cold formed steel portal sheds over the UK for the companies that sell these sheds on the mass market. A couple of them had a sideline business where they were buying containers and turning them into business units, one had got a lot of them and turned into a kind of eco B & B hotel.  We stacked them up to I think three storeys.. can be done SE wise but it was a lot of work and I'm not sure they made any real money out of it.

In terms of the technical spec you have a metal box. Metal is waterproof so this is your vapour barrier. One way of doing it is to put the insulation on the outside so the steel box is on the warm side. If you spend time on BH and ask questions you'll get a lot of help from the folk here that really know their stuff.

One thing I learnt when I was doing this is that the container market is even worse than the second and car market. But when I was involved it turned out that there are a lot of brand new containers that come from China that have a one way trip thus not been in slaty air for too long. They never go back.. but the steel is a bit "crap". However you also find that some of them are lined out in high value timber, sometimes protected species not good.. what do you do?

Another thing I learnt was that at the time it was cheeper to put stuff in a container and cart from China than to the UK than from Dover to Glasgow! I don't think this economic has changed much?

I've seen this done but maybe starting point is what you need to pay for the box and what is left inside it?

Hope this helps.

Edited by Gus Potter
salty air