Timber Cladding

learner

Hi Experts

I have a small bungalow in Kent in a conservation area, not listed.

It is currently clad in hideous white Plastic horizontal cladding intended to replicate a few buildings traditional weatherboard nearby.

I am extending the house and want vertical unpainted oiled treated timber, Red Cedar or similar.

The council say the i can have vertical Shiplap, Preferably painted white.

It is confusing as i thought shiplap has the scalloped bit however i don't want that as it doesnt give the look when vertical.

I have seen other samples online of shiplap where the scallop isn't visible and gives the Close look i want but was after some advise on the subject if possible.

There is too much info online

Any Advise??

Thanks R

In my experience councils get very precious about cladding, i have recently been through planning for an extension and cladding, and they wouldn't let me have the larch i was wanting, even if I stained it in the colour they wanted (brown), because they were worried that it was not enforceable. In the end they had a condition put on my approval to say that i MUST use thermowood, but in my case I don't think they were too bothered about design, it was more the colour.

8 hours ago, learner said:

I am extending the house and want vertical unpainted oiled treated timber, Red Cedar or similar.

The council say the i can have vertical Shiplap, Preferably painted white.

Do you have a Planning Condition that explicitly specifies vertical shiplap? Like this ...

58 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

.... because they were worried that it was not enforceable. In the end they had a condition put on my approval to say that i MUST use thermowood ...

If not, within bounds, you can do what you want.

What are those bounds? Attract too much attention and you bring the approbrium on yourself.

8 hours ago, learner said:

If there are other examples of that style within the locality, and there is no condition specifying something else, just do it.  4 years ago when I started our self build, I would have said consult, consult , consult.

Now I say - if you aren't explicitly prevented or explicitly instructed - just do it. You then have the  ' Well, I wasn't told I could / couldn't " defense.

PS, Happy Monday morning!

Edited by ToughButterCup