Building Thermography

daiking

This dropped into my inbox this morning http://events.imeche.org/ViewEvent?e=6474

"Infrared thermography is a key enabler in determining the quality of a building’s construction and identifying any shortcomings as a part of the dispute resolution process. Additionally, a thermographic building report can be used to gain one BREEAM credit.

Taking place at the Institution's London HQ, this free half-day lecture will provide you with a thorough understanding of thermography, imaging techniques for non-destructive testing and practical guidance to make your results more accurate."

This may be of general interest or even actual use for anyone near London with IMechE membership, I know, that's probably a tiny to non-existent subset on here but I saw it and thought of you..

• Like 1

Funnily enough, I've been looking at this.  So far I've done around a dozen (free) thermographic reports for local people, keen on finding ways to reduce their energy bills.  Not hard to do, but it does require the right conditions (cold and dry weather with a heated house) to get the best images from the thermal imaging camera and so produce a useful set of recommendations.

The worrying thing was going around a local new build estate.  A planning condition imposed meant that these were all supposed to be built to the old Code for Sustainable Homes Level 4.  A wander around shows loads of missing wall insulation, cold bridging around doors and windows and a generally poor level of performance.  I doubt they even met building regs, let alone CfSH L4, in reality.

Thermography offers a pretty foolproof way of demonstrating whether a builder has, in fact, built a house to the claimed thermal loss standard, and I think the more it's used the better informed buyers will be.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1