permission from service providers?

Barryscotland

Does anyone no if I still need permission to connect to a public sewer and for water connection if we already have the services on the plot and in use? We knocked down an existing house an currently have a static caravan plumbed in that we are living in.  We are reusing the existing sewer, water and surface drainage connections for the new build but we are unsure as is the architect whether we need permission from Scottish Water etc for the Building Warrant.

• 1 year later...
On 17/12/2020 at 16:46, Barryscotland said:

Does anyone no if I still need permission to connect to a public sewer and for water connection if we already have the services on the plot and in use? We knocked down an existing house an currently have a static caravan plumbed in that we are living in.  We are reusing the existing sewer, water and surface drainage connections for the new build but we are unsure as is the architect whether we need permission from Scottish Water etc for the Building Warrant.

Hi - what did you do in the end? We are in East Lothian, knocking down an existing bungalow, and Building Warrant asking for evidence of permission to connect....architect doesn't know if we need it....Scottish water said just to go through the standard process and it would work itself out....but we are getting tons of questions back from them (as if the current house doesn't even exist!) Thanks

On 16/10/2022 at 20:06, Meabh said:

Hi - what did you do in the end? We are in East Lothian, knocking down an existing bungalow, and Building Warrant asking for evidence of permission to connect....architect doesn't know if we need it....Scottish water said just to go through the standard process and it would work itself out....but we are getting tons of questions back from them (as if the current house doesn't even exist!) Thanks

The architect marked the existing sewer point on the relevant drawing with "connection to existing sewer" written beside it and the council never mentioned or questioned it. I don't think the water was even shown in any drawings. I think the only time you will need permission is if you are needing to use it as a combined Sewer (waste and surface). 

So we never contacted Scottish Water at all and all was good.

Good luck with your build

On 19/10/2022 at 09:44, Barryscotland said:

The architect marked the existing sewer point on the relevant drawing with "connection to existing sewer" written beside it and the council never mentioned or questioned it. I don't think the water was even shown in any drawings. I think the only time you will need permission is if you are needing to use it as a combined Sewer (waste and surface). 

So we never contacted Scottish Water at all and all was good.

Good luck with your build

Many thanks - that might be it - Architect has put it as combined sewer on building warrants as that's what the existing house currently does!