Eco-House Build in Bristol Area

BristolBuild2020

Hi,

Stumbled across the forum whilst looking for something to do with our upcoming house plans and then spent the next two days reviewing what feels like every thread.

ICF pros and cons, VAT reclaim, CIL refund process, Architect Briefs, updating my budget spreadsheet based on others very kindly provided examples, three-phase power (Didn't even know I wanted that...) and many things I've already forgotten about.

As an aerospace engineer I like to be organised with an eye on the details, so I'm trying to break this project down into manageable chunks as currently it feels like climbing Ben Nevis with 100kg backpack! We'll get there, but its going to be a struggle..!

One thing I am still on the lookout for (and I do have the Housebuilders Bible but its missing this) is a detailed checklist of things I should ensure I've looked at.

Because currently my biggest concern is not doing something because I didn't know about it...!

Cheers.

8 minutes ago, BristolBuild2020 said:

I like to be organised with an eye on the details

This will be your great asset. People laugh because I am so organised and write list after list but with my build it paid off. I am a retired small time builder which helps but I gained sooo much knowledge from this forum it was invaluable. First off you need a “want” list (to include even the smallest details) and work from that . Don’t be afraid to ask what might appear to be silly questions, silly is not asking in the first place. This forum is full of those people that have done this, not just talked about it. Oh and welcome (from a former Bristolian who moved south).

2 hours ago, BristolBuild2020 said:

Because currently my biggest concern is not doing something because I didn't know about it...!

Four years in and I'm still thinking , no, worrying about that. Not doing what you might reasonably be expected to - how do you know what you don't know?

Ask and read here. It will repay the effort,

Regards,

Ian