Hello from a newbie

JayD

Hi everyone

I'm a newbie and finally finding the strength (my mum passed away 5 months ago) to get some jobs done.

Found it very difficult to find a reliable roofer so have ended up doing some of the key work with a friend who's an established self builder.

Jay

• Thanks 1

Welcome Jay. My mother died two weeks after we completed on the purchase of our plot. Knocked the wind out of my sails for a while too. Spent many a moment thinking (hoping) she and my old man (who'd died 20 years earlier) would be proud of what we were doing. I'm sure yours would be proud of you too.

• Like 2

Thanks @NSS

Heart felt condolences to you on the loss of your mum and dad. 

Yes,  I agree, our parents would be proud.

My mum wanted to get the ridge tiles replaced as they were badly flaking for a long time. Trying to find a reliable and genuine roofer with experience was difficult while she was alive. Only a couple of weeks ago now, with the help of a friend, we replaced old ridge tiles with dry ridge system. I remember climbing up the ladders to the roof for the first time in a very long time, and I heard my mums voice in my head say "be careful son, take your time and pay attention". I feel my mum is around in another form - energy can't be destroyed, transforms from one form to another. 

What's hit me so hard is that I lost my best friend and only parent. Mum was a super woman, mother and father rolled into one.  I remember mum repairing the washing machine when I was 8 years old, replacing the motor.

She replaced the starter motor and brake pads (in the 1980s) of the Hillman Hunter car we had (mum learnt how to do things herself - low income, single parent)

• Like 1