Running a waste pipe to an access at other end of cottage?

calabash22

I am renovating a cottage in a remote location in Scotland, so trying to learn and do a lot of things myself.

One problem I am trying to figure out is how to get a new bathroom installed into a cottage that has concrete floors and 600mm thick granite stone walls.

The cottage originally had a small ensuite bathroom on the ground floor and a big bathroom upstairs, which had two separate waste pipes that are in the concrete.

This then runs to a run off outside the cottage to a concrete box thing with a concrete slab over it (what is the technical term for this), which then runs downhill to a septic tank.

Here is a rough diagram (no to scale) showing all pipes.

pipes.jpg.5060569431d105edd655874d5b5bb4df.jpg

Here is a picture of the water supply and waste pipe. This originally used to be a coal / utility room in the cottage with a small sink.

IMG_20180629_155407.thumb.jpg.6aeec916e47779e2834f7ae0e4a22dbb.jpg

Here is a picture of where the two soil drain pipes (collars removed), note the drain pipe with a pot covering it to mark its position.

IMG_20180629_155842.thumb.jpg.906e34d8f07f9e6bc2802bf7d52d2595.jpg

The drain pipe (closest in the photo), which originally served upstairs is now sealed over.  The other soil pipe is marked/covered with a pot in the background of the photo.

Note that there was channels on the concrete floor which originally had wood packed in them for the partitions. They were also concreted over.

Here is a pic showing perspective of the whole cottage inside

IMG_20180701_130956.thumb.jpg.1b589bdc84fb624bef09f09431f07d57.jpg

This is a rough floor layout of what I want to achieve, with a bathroom over on the left side of the ground floor.

682894033_ScreenShot2020-07-15at17_44_06.thumb.png.babd98626b869cc39c076283b5cdaedb.png

How can I get this waste from the left side of the cottage to the right side's waste pipe?

I had a look at 110mm waste pipe connections and there doesn't seem to be a connection that is at 90 degree angle, is there a technical reason for this?

This is a diagram of what I was after

1120694301_PipeConnection.jpg.d29dfc880e1a8a96b9410aed09143c11.jpg

What other options are there, someone has suggested a machine that you can fit to a toilet that basically acts like a blender / pump for these tricky situations, that lets you use the smaller (white) waste pipe.

I am just a young lad with some practical knowlege and a bit of common sense. If I could fly the A-team of builders up to do it all for me I would...

Any suggestions?

Ideally you would run 110mm pipe from the new bathroom out through the wall to the drain that runs from the inspection chamber to the Septic Tank.  I guess that's difficut given the concrete floor and stone walls hence your question..

I'm not sure why/where you need that particular branch connection but they are called corner branches...

https://www.google.com/search?q=110mm+corner+branch&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiW0KCLydHqAhVCPhoKHaitBLYQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=110mm+corner+branch&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzICCAAyBAgAEBg6BggAEAcQHjoICAAQCBAHEB5Qr8MEWNfPBGCq0gRoAHAAeACAAUmIAdADkgEBN5gBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1n&sclient=img&ei=6ywQX9auDcL8aKjbkrAL&bih=795&biw=1329

1 hour ago, calabash22 said:

What other options are there, someone has suggested a machine that you can fit to a toilet that basically acts like a blender / pump for these tricky situations, that lets you use the smaller (white) waste pipe.

They are called macerators but I would avoid one of these if at all possible. 

https://www.screwfix.com/c/heating-plumbing/macerators/cat831614

• Like 1

Actually you will need to look at the heights very carefully. Your shower will need to be on a plinth of some sort but it might not need to be that high..

If you can use the unit in the link above the 110mm branch would be pretty close to the floor. Then you need to add about 1:80 minimum fall to get to the new bathroom. Then an adaptor something like this which reduces down to 50mm for the shower trap without adding height..

https://www.drainageonline.co.uk/above-ground-drainage/guttering/hunter-guttering/hunter-mini/mini-50mm-reducer-110mm-x-50mm?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9b_4BRCMARIsADMUIyqgePtWb8uO_l8u03Egc91LnXAvvmsjOYlfQqdkOQe-3ChPfL88CA8aAhdVEALw_wcB#fo_c=2925&fo_k=47ddc519e023e9019e2e0e9f1f65866b&fo_s=gplauk

Then a low profile shower trap something like this.. 

https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/shower-traps-accessories/st90cp10-70c-90mm-shallow-shower-trap

Ideally the new WC would connect into the top of the 110mm "horizontal"run using something like this rotated.. but the best solution depends on the WC.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soil-Pipe-110mm-Tee-Branch-Light-Grey-Compact-Soil-Tee-Triple-Socket-/251338112146

Edited by Temp

So here is a rough sketch layout of what I think you need. I would start by using this to work out the height that the shower ends up and that the WC connection is possible. If that doesn't work you will either need to dig a new drain or look at a macerator..

1846664870_Checkheight.png.01fc5c58e0748bee7c9b34d2f5d35243.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Temp said:

So here is a rough sketch layout of what I think you need. I would start by using this to work out the height that the shower ends up and that the WC connection is possible. If that doesn't work you will either need to dig a new drain or look at a macerator..

1846664870_Checkheight.png.01fc5c58e0748bee7c9b34d2f5d35243.png

It should really be a Y-branch to promote flow towards the......

3 hours ago, calabash22 said:

(what is the technical term for this)

....."inspection chamber" aka manhole.

The difficulty may be getting a Y-branch in and the subsequent 135 degree single socket bend then required to rectify back to vertical to accept the WC connection.

1 hour ago, calabash22 said:

For the shower I will use the channel in the concrete and pipe it to the white waste pipe next to the water supply.

Sounds ok but I would jury rig something to test the flow rate that this pipe will take without backing up.

4 hours ago, calabash22 said:

Good idea, I will put the hose down it. Should I crank it up full blast, or is that too extreme?

Put the house down enough to clear the first bend, if there's one, and let it rip. 9-11 L/P/M is a reasonable shower output and a builders black bucket is around 11L so one of them every minute or less and your'e good to go.

+1

or perhaps temporarily rig up the shower tray. The main issue with a shower  is that the shallow water doesn't create much pressure to push the water down the waste pipe.