hyload or 'normal' (eg visqueen)... whats the difference?

sean1933

Can anyone help answer this for me - google isnt helping and my old school builder said its a fad, no need to pay for hyload dpc.

Not sure if it makes any difference but we have a jablite insulated beam and block floor system, and a reasonable number of high pointload walls due to lots of glass and not much actual structural walls. Below ground blockwork is 10n, a reasonable amount of the above is spec'd at 7n.

Thanks in advance!

It’s not a fad It’s been used in building as long as I can remember 

But he is right one does the same as the other 

The main reason I used it is tgat it is much stronger Easier to attach the membranes as it doesn’t curl up and get damaged the same as standard dpc 

But it’s your money and choice 

I would check with your Engineer what you propose to use. It may be that the Engineer has specified a DPC that acts like a mortar bed rather than just something that will carry a vertical load.  If so this could really impact on the stability of the wall and other parts the building.

I would check just to make sure before you substitute materials.

Thanks both.

49 minutes ago, Gus Potter said:

I would check with your Engineer what you propose to use. It may be that the Engineer has specified a DPC that acts like a mortar bed rather than just something that will carry a vertical load.  If so this could really impact on the stability of the wall and other parts the building.

I would check just to make sure before you substitute materials.

Engineer hasnt spec'd a DPC material. Would I be right in assuming Hyload would be a better choice? Ie am I assuming correctly that your inference is a switch from Hyload to cheaper visqueen could be an error, but switching to Hyload when already intended visqueen wouldnt be an issue as its a better product?

Hi Sean.

All Engineers make mistakes from time to time, leave something off a drawing, a small note for example... say your DPC. They are all human! Give your Engineer a call, most are happy to have a Client that has actually has taken the time to study their drawings. A lot of Engineers spend a lot of time thinking before they produce the drawings. Lots of folk don't appreciate that.

If you phone them up and talk to them you will probably get a good response and some extra free and cost effective advice!