wall panelling - timber

Auchlossen

I am thinking of panelling a wall in my hall in wood.

The other wood around in this space is four internal doors in plain oak veneer, and a large feature bookcase/storage.

The bookcase is soon to be commissioned, it may either be oak veneered ply to co-ordinate with the doors, or painted wood in a bold colour.

The floor will be grey mottled slate, and there is [are] buckets of light from a large skylight.

The wall is clad in osb as a base, and is about 2.5m rising to 2.6m

It might be good to have a shadow gap here, instead of skirting.

Several alternative approaches to panelling spring to mind:

• some flooring companies make engineered timber wallboards in similar lengths/widths, eg Panaget; this might be secret nailed to the osb in vertical planks, and would have joints at random intervals
  • sheets of oak veneer faced ply or mdf, but they would not quite reach the ceiling unless i could source larger than 2440, and it might look too much like a hotel lobby

Has anyone any experience of products, methods, sources, or design ideas that might advise me further, please? I cannot see any discussion on Buildhub of this issue, and my post may be located in the wrong place so moderators please feel free to relocate.

I know most laminates and veneers can be made at least 10' / 3m so don't assume any size is unavailable ;)

I used to get sheets made for shop fitting which were 10' laminate sheets made from an 8'x4' sheet plus a 2' rip ( which were biscuit jointed together before the whole thing being glued and pressed ). 

Always ask what's available ?

• Like 1

Thanks, yes it seems that 10' boards are available in oak veneered ply. Thanks for the pointer. On balance I am thinking that ply will be too municipal/office/hotel an aesthetic, and that flooring would make a more attractive solution. Happy xmas everybody. I put up a few more images on auchlossen blogspot if anybody wants to peep. Too busy lately to write up much.