Spray painting inside of house white after plasterers

Homer92

A few fellow self builders have advised me to spray the entire inside of my house white just after plasterers have finished inside. Prior to any kitchens, internal doors, skirting, stairs etc are installed.

Anyone here done this? Worth the expense? I'm sure other trades coming in after end up scuffing & marking it, or maybe it makes them work with a bit more care?

I seen some photos on social media of it done and I do quite like the idea.

Thanks

We painted the whole of our house before second fix.  It did mean a bit of touching up here and there afterwards, but overall I'm happy we chose to do it this way around.  Not only did it make for a cleaner look, with skirtings, architraves, kitchen units etc all fitting to an already decorated surface, but it was also an incentive to take a bit more care during second fix.  I did leave unpainted areas wherever I needed to bond something to a wall, though, like in the bathrooms where the wall board was to be fitted around the bath, shower and basins.  It made painting a lot quicker and easier, too, as it didn't really matter if a bit of paint splashed on to the floors.  It also made it easier when moving the scaffold tower around (needed to paint the ~6m high bits in the hall)

Yes a number of us have.

Main resource thread here:

You will do more prep, but should overall save between several days and several weeks depending on the house.

For a normal size 3 bed trad house I would reckon on half-one day prep and one to 2 days spraying depending on the no. of coats.

Best balance is probably to do everything except the final coat, but perhaps also do the final on eg ceilings etc.

Good advice in that thread, eg backrolling to add texture so touch ups do not show, and to learn on eg a garage if you can.

Edited by Ferdinand

16 minutes ago, Homer92 said:

Do all walls just get one coat? Best to spray on the final coat too or does it matter how its applied?

We didn't spray the walls but hand painted them with a roller etc. Make sure your very first coat of paint is a diluted trade paint - Two or three coats are considered best practice. Only then can you think about applying  top / finished coats. Failure to do so will cause all sorts of problems with the plaster etc.

On 27/02/2020 at 15:01, Homer92 said:

Great, some good points in that thread.

Do all walls just get one coat? Best to spray on the final coat too or does it matter how its applied?

@Redoctober has that right, but also see how you go.

Once you have the sprayer and can do the whole thing in a day or two, you can do more coats rather than thicker coats - as that gives you more control.

Important to take time to learn and prep, though.

Edited by Ferdinand