Extra Velux windows

nubbins

Hi All,

We got PP for a detached house which we started last April and once our builder got up to roof height we decided to go for additional PP for a couple of rooms in the loft which we got eventually.

The new PP for the extra loft space has a window in the front and back gable as well as two loft windows . Our joiner has just about completed the roof structure and has put the openings for 3 additional loft windows (see below in red) just in case we wanted them in future, as it happens we would like them now. 

I contacted council planning and asked them via email (thats the only way you can contact them), they sent me an email telling me to take guidance from a link (here)to the planning portal which states.

New roof lights or skylights will not normally require an application for planning permission providing:

• they do not protrude more than 150mm beyond the plane of the roof slope
  • they are no higher than the highest part of the roof
  • if they are in side elevation roof slope they must be obscure-glazed and either non opening or more than 1.7 metres above the floor level

BUT

In my decision notice it states

13. Restriction of permitted development rights – windowsNotwithstanding the provisions of the Town and Country Planning, (General Permitted Development) (England) Order 2015 (or any Order revoking and re-enacting that Order with or without modification), no additional windows or similar openings shall be constructed in the first floor level or above in both side elevations of the infill dwelling hereby permitted except for any which may be shown on the approved drawing(s). Reason: To safeguard neighbouring amenities. Relevant policy: Core Strategy policy CP3.

Does anyone know if I can put the 3 windows in without going back to planning?  The email I sent to council planning enquiries did have the original planning application number and I even asked if I would need some sort non material amendment application but she just sent the planning portal link. I'm tempted to play dumb but would be worried about getting signed off, building regs etc?

Thanks

image.png.4c26b9b84d6d0a2af2fde5c57b4f4b2e.png

image.png

I think that you will need to go back to planning, as you don't have any permitted development rights now.

You might be able to get the alteration in under an non-material amendment, it will depend on the view of the local authority.

The flat room one is probably o.k, but i think that the ridge roof lights won't be able to dealt with as a non-material amendment