Rafter Spacers

Martin Stone

Hi all. I am having a new garage built and it has a cut roof. The ridge of the roof is just below a bedroom window and when looking out yesterday I noticed spacers/packing pieces between the top of the rafters and the ridge board. There are about six on one side and one on the other. I guess the rafters were cut a bit short. The spacers are between 6-8mm. thick.

I'm a bit concerned that this may have an impact on the structural rigidity of the roof? So I'm just after some reassurance that this is fine and normal practice if you cut the rafters a bit short.

14 minutes ago, Martin Stone said:

Hi all. I am having a new garage built and it has a cut roof. The ridge of the roof is just below a bedroom window and when looking out yesterday I noticed spacers/packing pieces between the top of the rafters and the ridge board. There are about six on one side and one on the other. I guess the rafters were cut a bit short. The spacers are between 6-8mm. thick.

I'm a bit concerned that this may have an impact on the structural rigidity of the roof? So I'm just after some reassurance that this is fine and normal practice if you cut the rafters a bit short.

Perhaps a photo would help