Specifying a brickie team contract for a whole house.

It might be a weather related factor but brickies seem to be looking for work which leads to my question on what needs to be agreed when dealing with a 2+1 brickie team for a whole house (10.5k facing + 2000 medium weight inner blocks).

1. A 4 stage payment schedule has been suggested "above splash" roughly equating to each scaffold lift plus wall plate and chimney finishing.
  2. They will only lay at 2 degrees and rising.
  3. They acknowledge industry standard tolerances.
  4. 2.5 tie per m2.
  5. English bond is specified as is a particular mortar colour that requires white cement.
  6. We have agree on the local quarry that will supply the sand to provide a consistent mortar colour.
  7. I will state no further sub contracting allowed, i.e. the 2 brickies I met will be expected to do the work.
  8. Cavity batts will be fitted as they go and I will be onsite every day to check this.
  9. They are aware that two working class one chimney flues are part of the spec plus one false chimney.

What little things need to be specified to avoid arguments later on?

• For example the brickie team working on the self build opposite fit a mini cavity tray around each airbrick vent.
  • Do brickies typically fit the wallplate timber?
  • Who fits the first floor joists?
  • Maximum tolerable delay in the arrival of joists.
  • Required pointing finish.
  • When will artstone cills be fitted.
  • English bond header courses to step up/down a course at corners.
  • Avoid English bond header courses intersecting with the corner of a window or door aperture.
  • Ensure wall plate does not sit directly on a header course.
  • Toilet provision.

What is out of scope?

• Chimney flashing?
  • Art stone cill fitting?

The Brickies will bed the wall plates 

But they will need to be jointed first 

Build upto to chamber Joiner Will position the joists Then board out or temporary board 

Then the Brickies will build them in as they go up

Better to have the joists on site in advance as you have no way of knowing how quick the Brickies will get on

Couple of weeks of dry weather and your job will fly 

and they won’t want to hang around 

Heads and cils 

some build in some after 

I chose to build in and project 

Brickies and other trades are usually pretty careful Scaffolders don’t But they need to go in before it comes down 

Team talk before it comes down may help Or a preyer   

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, nod said:

The Brickies will bed the wall plates 

But they will need to be jointed first    

Ah I was unaware of the associated carpentry step, will this be a tenon joint or 45 degree mitre at the corners?

22 hours ago, nod said:

Build upto to chamber Joiner Will position the joists Then board out or temporary board 

Then the Brickies will build them in as they go up

Better to have the joists on site in advance as you have no way of knowing how quick the Brickies will get on

Couple of weeks of dry weather and your job will fly 

I am thinking temporary board  because I do not want the daily anguish of watching the job overrun while puddles of water sit on proper boarding months past its rated exposure period.

They are talking big daily lay rates in theory the house could be up to gutter height in 3 weeks. Their preferred approach to the job is to bring the outer skin up a full blake profile in height and then the inner block wall up to match, he did caution that is wind related.

Mine was left exposed for about five weeks

I also covered with Visqueen as it was Boxing Day when myself and my wife boarded nailed and glued it 

When I un sheeted it it was very dry

Pretty resilient stuff 

D3C84E11-6EFB-4D8F-98D6-936A42D2B772.jpeg

• Thanks 1