Where to learn how to airtight the house??

Hi all,

This probably is a daft question for a lot of you but I know nothing about this subject. I want a reasonably airtight house which I tried to relay to the architect. However given my build is a barn conversion we have limits about reusing existing walls and slab of the barn. I don't actually know if he has designed a very airtight design or if I just need to pay attention to sealing with tape around windows!. 

Basically I'm clueless and I don't want to be, as I want to make sure the house is pretty airtight. Where can I find more information on this subject??

Here are relevant drawings for this section:

https://home.glasscubes.com/share/s/rbu9qhjri579oh36rmvh1m7gbe

Basically there are no notes in the plans around this I can see.

11 hours ago, Sensus said:

Start here

If you're serious, then this book is well worth having, but it ain't cheap. I used to have a PDF copy that I'd have offered you, but I'm damned if I can find it on my shambles of a filing system on my computer.

Edited to add one further bit of basic advice: you should be able to draw a continuous line on any detail plan or section through the building to follow the airtightness control layer. If you can't, either because there are discontinuities, or you simply don't know what component is acting as the control layer, then it's time to ask questions of your Architect.

Brilliant, thank you. (If you do happen to find the PDF please let me know :-)

14 hours ago, gc100 said:

Hi all,

This probably is a daft question for a lot of you but I know nothing about this subject. I want a reasonably airtight house which I tried to relay to the architect. However given my build is a barn conversion we have limits about reusing existing walls and slab of the barn. I don't actually know if he has designed a very airtight design or if I just need to pay attention to sealing with tape around windows!. 

Basically I'm clueless and I don't want to be, as I want to make sure the house is pretty airtight. Where can I find more information on this subject??

Here are relevant drawings for this section:

https://home.glasscubes.com/share/s/rbu9qhjri579oh36rmvh1m7gbe

Basically there are no notes in the plans around this I can see.

Green Building Store have done a number of retrofits to existing properties.  Their website is a pretty useful source of information, so have a look around there.  Here's a link to their Technical Resources page

https://www.greenbuildingstore.co.uk/technical-resource/

• Thanks 1