Renovations and Extension of 1930s Bungalow in Edinburgh

greido

Hi,

I’ve recently joined as I’m about to embark on my first build project; I’ve been planning for some time now and the plans have grown in scope but hopefully I’ve not bitten off more than I can chew! – Planning permission has been approved by Edinburgh City Council and the Building Warrant Application has now been submitted so the next steps are to engage with builders to request detailed tenders.

My house is a 1930s detached bungalow that requires a great deal of modernising, it’s previously had a loft conversion in 1990 which provides two bedrooms, one is large, the other tiny and both are severely compromised by eves. Downstairs there are currently two double bedrooms, a bathroom, kitchen, Dining Room, Living Room and a dilapidated conservatory.

The changes I plan are as follows:

Downstairs:

No changes to the downstairs bedrooms, except one will get an en-suite.

Existing kitchen is small so will become a utility room

Existing living room will become the kitchen, extending into the dining room and into an open plan living room with 7.5m bi-folding doors and two large roof lanterns, the overall area will be approx. 76m2.

The staircase going upstairs will be replaced as the existing staircase is too narrow for the latest building regulations.

Upstairs:

The roof will be replaced allowing much better use of space as I can utilise the loft and also remove the worst offending pitches by altering angles and utilising a flat section in the middle of the building. Upstairs will have 2 large double bedrooms both with en-suites, a walk-in wardrobe and an office built above the garage. The garage is already attached to the house but will be replaced to allow the office to be built above it.

There are a number of areas that I still need more information on so will be hammering the search function on the forum, main areas I will be seeking guidance on are as follows:

Recommendations on good value and good quality retailers/wholesalers for Kitchens, appliances, bathrooms, floor coverings, lighting and also advice on what specifications of windows and doors I should be looking at and also advice on central heating, underfloor heating and opinions on solar power.

Welcome.

At this point it would be really helpful to have an anonymised copy of your floor plans , site plan etc posted, which will facilitate far more focussed responses.

One of my first questions , living in a converted bungalow myself, is what will happen to the practicality of your garage when you insulate the walls properly? Mine is now quite narrow, even though the bloke who did it before I moved in pulled a slight fast one by a few inches with both side boundaries.

On search, Google with the site parameter is at least as useful, though the advanced options of the forum search are very powerful.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand