MCS RHI calculation?

Hi all,

My quotes for ASHP are coming in around 14K , and given the price of the components (7K at best) I'm wondering if I can get a willing plumber to install instead of going the MCS route which all of the suppliers in my region are. 

On a 14Kw system, they are saying we would get ~1.2K back a year . However talking to one supplier these figures are a bit pie in the sky because they cannot make the actual calculation until you get the EPC done. Given we are going for a fairly airtight triple glazed house I'm wonder how far this could be off.

Does anyone have an example of what was quoted vs the reality once you finished the build in therms of RHI payments.?

Many thanks as always

Edited by gc100

All you really need from the EPC for the RHI calculator is the expected annual heating and DHW load for the property, you must have some reasonable idea of these already to have designed the heating and decided on a 14kW ashp? It's fairly easy to work through the RHI calculator with a few scenarios to at least get a range. 

You can do a worst case scenario of 15kWh per m2 of floor area (i.e passive house) and see what the RHI would be on that, in reality an independent EPC would never estimate it that low so that will give a minimum level of compensation.

FWIW my quote is £9k for ashp install including high spec 300L UVC with 100mm of insulation and quite a bit of plumbing, and it says between £7k and £3.5k in RHI depending where exactly the final EPC falls. As it's a retrofit I'm also pushed towards MSC anyway to get the low rating on VAT, and besides if I'm paying for an install I'd rather not be someone's first attempt (the market for reputable, experienced installers in our area is thin enough without adding a non-MSC constraint)

• Like 1