Small pipe kink is this a problem?

DIY_Amateur

Hi

I have recently had some UFH installed and am having some teething problems. After a bit of fettling the system is running air and leak free but I noticed that one of the pipes coming out of the screed into the manifold is kinked; on the first pipe with the metal guide, you can see the blue lines are twisted.

I have tried relaxing the nut on the manifold but the pipe doesn't untwist and when I run the system there does not appear to be any detriment to flow.

I did a search and came across an old thread, which brought me a little comfort and I think mine is similar.

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/2521-pipe-kink-should-i-worry/

However, better safe than sorry I hoped someone might be kind enough to take a look at advise if I need to get this sorted, somehow!

Thank you in advance!

IMG_6398.JPG

Thanks for replying, yes very weird as the locking nut isn't gripping the pipe so it's not twisting when I loosen/tighten it.

My plan was to leave it if possible as these pipes do seem pretty resilient, but always nice to have a second opinion - thank you

I can confirm that UFH pipe is pretty tough stuff.  It looks as if it somehow got a bit twisted as the nut was tightened originally, which is possible, as until the inner part of the fitting is tight to the manifold it is possible for the nut to rotate the pipe, especially if it's at a bit of an angle.  Once the inner part of the fitting is located tight in the manifold then it will tend to stop the pipe twisting.

If it's not leaking, and the flow is OK, then I'd just leave it, as the chances are that trying to fix it now would do more harm than good, given that there's so little room to do anything.

Thanks JS for your opinion too - I have learnt from experience that sometimes things are best left but it's a difficult to fight the instinct to 'fix' it.

Just to check, I am assuming the flow is ok because the flow rate is at 3l/min which is the same as the other three on the manifold.

Thank you

Sounds like the flow is OK, if the loop is balanced with the others.  My guess is that that pipe will be OK for decades, as the relatively low temperatures that UFH runs at are unlikely to cause any degradation.  It probably looks a lot worse than it really is, in terms of possible damage, too, given how robust UFH seems to be.