Sheet piling.

K78

I met a SE on site this morning to discuss the foundations for my house and retaining wall. 

While we were discussing the wall, he asked me if I'd considered sheet piling. This was the one option I haven't looked at because I was under the impression it was very expensive. He said this was not the case and if anything they are a quick cheap solution.

Has anyone ever used sheet piles?

Thanks

They are used for a lot of civils contracts but tend to be very deep - they are used more for temporary retaining and then have a significant concrete or steel ring beam attached to them to stabilise the tops. From recollection they have to be 2/3rds / 1/3rd below and above ground, so a 4m wall needs a 12m pile. 

Bizarrely saw a Movax unit from these guys earlier today !! Beast of a machine holding up the traffic on a low loader !! http://www.stuartpiling.co.uk/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

They are used for a lot of civils contracts but tend to be very deep - they are used more for temporary retaining and then have a significant concrete or steel ring beam attached to them to stabilise the tops. From recollection they have to be 2/3rds / 1/3rd below and above ground, so a 4m wall needs a 12m pile. 

Bizarrely saw a Movax unit from these guys earlier today !! Beast of a machine holding up the traffic on a low loader !! http://www.stuartpiling.co.uk/

This was what I thought too. I looked at a King post wall using RSJ's and concrete panels and was told the same. 2 thirds underground. 

The SE said that wouldn't be the case with my ground. He described it as "glacial mud rock".

The geotechnical engineer who visited the site a few weeks ago said it was a "glacial river bed". He suggested a geotech mesh rather than a wall. 

I excavated the bank nearly 3 years ago and it hasn't moved. 

image.jpeg

Edited by K78