Minimum viable brick courses above garage door lintel.

epsilonGreedy

My garage door aperture is 2.7m which I believe implies the steel box lintel bridging this will be a full block or 3 brick courses high. Here is a product page supporting this assumption:

https://keystonelintels.com/product/boxk-100

If my lintel sits at 9 blocks + 1 engineering brick high and the garage is 11 blocks high, this would leave two regular brick courses above the lintel along a 3m run. This intuitively feels insufficient to me for a part of a building subject to flex from roof loads and the large aperture.

Would I be better off raising the garage wall above the lintel to wall plate height with chunky box section carpentry?

Edited by epsilonGreedy

5 minutes ago, nod said:

I put the wall plate directly on top of the steel and simply boxed it when I fitted the door

Thanks, useful photo detail there. It looks as though your Lintel is an I beam steel and it was about 50mm below the full bedded 4" x 2" timber wall plate. I could raise the lintel seat height to do something similar but need to ensure I leave enough headroom for a Horman sectional door motor to hang from the roof joists.

Things are complicated further in my case because I hope to add a facing oak goal post outside of the inner block wall. The details are starting to hurt my brain.