christianbeccy

Members
  • Content Count

    89
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Neutral

About christianbeccy

  • Rank
    Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I'm not an avid follower of current affairs, but I have seen mention of a possible reform of SDLT in the March budget. What is the general feeling on this from those that have a better knowledge of such matters than I do? If a change were to appear out of the back of the budget, would this take effect immediately? Either way, I'm sure we'll miss it, but by a frustratingly narrow margin as our purchase has to complete on/before 13th March.
  2. We appointed an Architect to design our self-build. It's a large plot (approx. 1/2 an acre), with a lot of opportunity for design and placement. We compiled our interpretation of a design brief, covering 2 A4 typed pages with bullet-pointed 'must haves' and 'do not wants', then attended a meeting to discuss our lifestyle and requirements. Some time later, our Architect delivered his 'Feasibility Study', along with a substantial invoice but it has left us very confused, even a little shocked. We did make it clear that we are keen for our ideas to be challenged, but the position and layout of the design doesn't really tick any boxes for us. It feels as though he has either not read/listened to our input or has very deliberately delivered something left-field to evoke a conversation. At this moment, there isn't really anything from the first output that we want to move forward with. Even the proposed position of the building is, in my opinion, the last place on the plot I'd have put it, my reasons for this were even covered very clearly in our brief. We have a meeting scheduled for the end of Feb to try to re-align, but our Architect believes he is close and the design just needs tweaking. We've held nothing back about how we feel. We held back payment of the invoice, but have had to pay it because he won't progress with an 'outstanding invoice', so we're caught in a 'cache 22'. I'm not expecting a 'visual design' at this stage, but surely a workable layout/position (white-box model) is necessary at this stage? Or am I expecting too much? Please kindly share your experiences/opinions.
  3. I just did that, it is the simplest set of deeds I've ever seen. No covenants at all. Lucky them! Hehe. There's a road and 2-3 properties between them and us now as the crow flies. We'll get legal advice when the time comes.
  4. Does the covenant appear on the deeds of the covenantee? I didn't think so. But, as you said, for £3, I guess it's worth a look.
  5. Edit it in Photoshop. Treat it as an image. I can do it if you want?
  6. Our property deeds contain a covenant that places a single dwelling restriction upon us. The benefit of the covenant lives in a house whose extensive land bordered ours in the 1950's, when the covenant was added. Since then, the majority of their land was sold off and developed into a road/houses, meaning that the benefit of the covenant no longer appears viable. The originating house has also changed hands at least twice and possibly three times since, I think I'm right in saying that the new owners probably aren't even aware of the benefit as I understand that their deeds probably don't mention this. Presuming that the benefit runs with the land, as opposed to those named, do I approach the current owners and see if they'll agree to it's removal? Or do I simply effect it myself on the above grounds? What's the process like to do this?
  7. I've just downloaded the Title Register for a property I'm trying to buy. There are a couple of worrying covenants in there, but they are quite old. I strongly suspect the beneficiaries are now deceased. How do we find out if there is a successor in title or someone else that the benefit has passed to? There are covenants dated 1936 and 1956, the 1956 one mentions various things, nothing of importance, but there is a Single Dwellinghouse restriction. However, the land between the house where I suspect the beneficiary lived and the one I'm looking to buy has since been heavily developed, so I suspect their interest in it is now invalid if they are even still alive. There is another dated 1990, but a Google search reveals that the benefit of that one is now deceased. Here's the part in question... I think there used to be a 'loke' between the two properties and at some point it was closed off, with half of it by length going to one property and half to the other. The 'land tinted pink' refers to the whole plot The 'land tinted blue' refers to a tiny pocket of land on one of the boundaries resulting from the loke mentioned above, but included within revised 'red boundary' The 'Blue land' refers to a strip of land that it looks like could encompass my access to the property we're hoping to buy How can a covenant created many years after the property was built place a restriction over the whole plot? It mentions the 'land tinted blue' as having the benefit, so if that's all that is in jeopardy, I'd risk losing that little bit if it meant overturning the covenant. It's a relatively unimportant piece of land in the grand scheme. Additionally, the paragraph appears to detail the GRANTEE and all successors in title, but it doesn't seem to state successors in title to the GRANTOR, as though it was only the 2 names mentioned and nobody thereafter? Furthermore, I have begun talks with a conveyancer, but haven't fully instructed them. Can I be assured of getting all the answers to these questions during the conveyancing process or is this a separate matter?
  8. If we don't buy it, I guess it'll go on the market and at that point we're really no different to anyone else that comes along. I suppose they could hope for a unicorn cash buyer, but what are the odds of that? I feel certain that the development potential doesn't extend past what we're anticipating, so whilst it's great for us, it's not an absolute golden egg. If we need to get the beneficiaries on side, it'll probably boil down to how quickly we think we can get our 'ducks in a row', as you said, but providing we can get a mortgage lender on side (should have an indication of that tomorrow, as we already have a mortgage agreed in principle for what we were going to do, so the broker has all our details/credit checks etc) and put ours straight on the market (we're ready to do that, all bar a few small DIY tasks), we should be in a favourable position. Of the 3 of them, one is practically silent, wasn't expecting this at all and seems grateful for whatever/whenever it settles. One is my father who I don't have much of a relationship with, he lives in Asia is keen for the easiest settlement possible. The other is my uncle, who seems to support it and is, again, looking for the easiest resolution. There is nobody else concerned.
  9. It's a good point, well made. Perhaps I should contact the solicitor (the executor of the will) and start a conversation. My uncle is speaking as though the terms of the sale are up to him (and the other 2 beneficiaries), but I guess the executor holds the cards ultimately and is the right person to converse with?
  10. Great tips there @scottishjohn. It's really a lot to get our heads around at the moment. But in the most ideal of worlds, we'd live in the existing house until our new one is finished enough to live in and there's not much stopping that from happening. It'd be lovely to be so close to the plot as we plan to project manage it ourselves anyway. It'll just be down to whether we can figure a self-build mortgage with enough headroom without having the existing house to sell at that point and with a (relatively modest) mortgage on it. With no outlay as such for the plot, we can progress as fast as our income will allow towards getting it all split up and prepared for build at least. As we'll by then be owners of the main dwelling, I assume we can sell the existing property for whatever it is valued at, irrespective of what we paid for it?
  11. So, I'm trying to buy a building plot from my Uncle that is part of a property he has partly inherited (he's currently trying to buy out the other beneficiaries, but can't afford to on his own). We thought it would be a nice easy transaction, but in fact it has turned out to be filled with complication. Not least because there won't be a plot to buy until he's bought the main bit etc etc. The upshot is, we've had the chance to buy the whole property, which is hugely nicer from the viewpoint that we'd be ultimately in control of all decisions and no uncertainty about lending money etc. We can put the new boundary where we want it. Here's the scenario... It's a 1950's built 'country style' Bungalow standing in about an acre of mostly mature landscaped garden. The house as it currently stands is a little unconventional, it's liveable in, but needs modernising. It does have a felt roof, albeit pitched to about 25° (estimated), but looks to be in really quite good condition. It stands in an off-road location, not visible from the road at all, but it is located around 3 miles from the centre of the city that it's positioned in and in a desirable village. There is a slight concern with access and highways that may complicate the plans to add another dwelling, but we have some measures we can take to understand that better before we jump in. It's literally just outside the conservation area and within the development zone, so pretty favourable and with no TPO's. I have the deeds for it in front of me and certainly need some help understanding the restrictions it mentions, but it doesn't look hugely complicated. Who could I get to clarify these for me? What I'd hope to do is sell my current property and buy this one. There is about a £25-40k difference between what we expect to sell ours for and what we can buy this one for. We're currently at about 30-35% LTV on ours and not tied in to our current mortgage. I anticipate borrowing to a similar level just to buy the property initially, then think about self-build funding a little further down the line. I know we'll face some challenges in trying to get a mortgage with the non-standard (I guess) construction, but we could agree to do the roof immediately I guess? It's a little heart-breaking to do that because if we re-sell the main property, the new buyers might well want to tear it all apart, including the 'new roof', which we'd have only done to pacify a mortgage lender. C'est la vie. Ultimately, we'd still like to split off a building plot, build on that and sell the original property. We'd have to live in the main property for the time-being and may choose to renovate, partly renovate or sell it as is once we've split the plot off and figured where we'll live. Perhaps we'll stay in it until our new one is done or not, yet to be decided and partly dependent on raising the self-build funding. We might just rent somewhere else or live with family if we need to. We might consider caravan life, but we both work from home, so that's tricky! I think the price we can buy it for would be at a level where we could remarket the property again (give or take a little) even with the plot removed for similar money, perhaps we'll have to have the roof tiled and do some light modernisation ourselves, but we'd end up with a cheap and very attractive plot (about half an acre, with some mature trees and completely secluded) for the net sum of next-to-nothing, depending on how clever we are with the process. I think our only interest in it is the building plot, I don't think we can make the existing property into what we want long-term when you take into account cost viability. I'd really appreciate some moral support on this and help spotting potential pitfalls, I have to move quickly and either grab it or run. 👍
  12. Things have drastically changed and I definitely need help now. The opportunity has grown/improved, but it's quite different and needs a very different set of considerations so I'm going to start a new thread...
  13. THIS is the reason I'm so put off using trades. We renovated our current Bungalow from being in a 'super derelict' state and have self-taught most things. We take longer to complete a job than a tradesman would, but the end result will be with you for years, so needs to be perfect otherwise it will bother you on a daily basis. That job is shocking, honestly, I wouldn't tolerate that in any context even if I had to suck up the costs (which you won't).
  14. Those are interesting points. I guess in the event of death, there could be a provision for that from the estate, but how about bankruptcy? What could be expected there?