Jump to content

MJNewton

Members
  • Posts

    1354
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Everything posted by MJNewton

  1. @Onoff You will also likely see (or hear!) the benefit of reduced noise by siting the MVHR unit within the loft space.
  2. [Apologies for those that got a half-complete notification - I somehow submitted without having finished] Thanks everyone for the welcome, and indeed the comments/suggestions. Addressing some of the key points raised: Terminology - Yes, if I've found one thing with MVHR it is the variety of terms in use often interchangeably! I am seeing manifolds and plenums being swapped around; and valves, terminals, grilles, vents (and now 'ceiling holes'! ) all being used. Here am indeed talking about, well, the ceiling holes (that's arguably the least ambiguous term given its uniqueness!) System Type - I am intending on using the HB+ system with the central manifold-based flow restrictors (based on your previous discussions/experiences with them JSHarris) and accept that initial balancing is going to be a bit of pain. Having performed a 20-stage iterative balance of our wet central heating system, taking around 6 hours to complete, I've got the determination (and OCD?!) to see something like this through though! It may well end up something of a hybrid system of different suppliers where possible/compatible and I *might* make my own manifolds to suit my specific needs (and budget). Something worth mentioning is that this will be a retrofit installation and whilst it will be performed alongside a new extension it does mean I can afford to be a bit more focused on some of the arguably less(er) important aspects! As you say, Ian, a complete self-build must mean any available time is highly competed for and so I could well understand that subtleties of vent aesthetics are justifiably low down the list! The fact that I am retrofitting means that wherever possible I shall be wanting to install from the below-ceiling side (just to be clear: the ducting will be in the ceiling void; it is just which side I'll be primarily working from!). For this reason I may well end up fabricating my own plenums that I can fix from beneath using a 63/75mm-to-125mm adaptor and 125mm right-angle rigid bend as all plenums I've seen are very much fit-from-above or at first fix. I think I'll be able to do all this from underneath (I've done similar before with an inline shower extractor fan) given the right terminal type (particularly the ones with a collar that is screwed to the ceiling hole edge. The Conus air valve is not one I'd come across JSHarris but could be just the ticket given how slimline it is and depending on how easily I can attached it to a non-HB+ plenum. Am I right in assuming that there's no distinction between supply/extract with that particular type? The type Lizzie has also sound very interesting, but my desire for (expensive) aesthetics is unfortunately sometimes countered by my thrifty-Northern roots so I might have to avoid looking too much into that option!
  3. Hi everyone, My first post here so let me start off with a big thank you to past contributors to MVHR discussions - the archives have been invaluable in getting me up to speed with the nuances of numerous aspects of system design and have even provided answers to questions I didn't know I had! I note a number of names were on the ebuild forum too on which I have also been trawling the archives of. One aspect I haven't read much (anything?) about is aesthetic considerations of the room supply/extract valves. I see that there are numerous options available, most of which are subtle variations on the same theme, but I am sure some must look better 'in the flesh' than others not least given that there appears to be quite a range of costs. I was wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations? I think quality and subtlety of finish would likely pass the wife test (the judging criteria of which is, naturally, only to be disclosed once I am past the point of no return with cutting holes!). I wondered if something like the acoustic offerings from Alnor might fit the bill by virtue of them being fairly plain looking and obviously air vents. I think I am perhaps nervous of the commercial look of a conventional valve having seen them in many an office environment? Of course, perhaps it is more that I am over thinking this and once the novelty and focus on MVHR has worn off any valve will blend in to the surroundings along with everything else. Incidentally, I am planning on using HB-type semi rigid ducting and balancing flows at the manifold end with restrictors; non-adjustable ceiling valves would therefore also be acceptable if this gives any more choice. Mathew
×
×
  • Create New...