Renovation and extension

shaunf17

Hi Everyone,

My name is Shaun and I am in the planing phase of extending and renovating a 1930's semi in Scotland.

My background is IT, but I will be mainly doing this DIY due to budget, an appetite for projects and the fact I am very fussy and always been disjointed with work completed by others.

I intend on hiring an electrician for the rewire and a plumber to hook up the gas and unvented cylinder, possibly a tiler but I've never found one I'm happy with.

The project will consist of a two storey extension forming a WC and kitchen on ground floor and large bedroom on first floor, at half landing level the existing toilet and showroom will be extended over the new WC to form a larger bathroom.

The existing kitchen will become a utility and the dining room will be opened into the new kitchen.

The existing house requires:

Rewire

New Ceilings

New Floors

New Staircase

New Heating, hopefully underfloor

New Windows/Doors

All walls plastered

Full decoration throughout

I've already created a post over here for feedback on the layout.

Welcome to BuildHub Sean. There is a wealth of experience here that covers pretty much every trade you can think of so if you have any specific questions please fire aware. What are your plans for improving the insulation if any? You are doing so much to the walls and ceilings it would seem to be advantagous to look to improve the insulation quite a bit, especially if you are thinking of having UFH.  

@newhome We will renew loft insulation and insulate the sloping parts of upstairs ceilings (they are so cold to touch compared to walls and flat ceilings). I think we will also use insulated plasterboard on all external walls. We are very cautious about filling the existing cavities as there are so many horror stories , although it does seem the easiest quick win there is.

We will also insulate under  and around the ground floor (suspended timber) and fit new windows and doors throughout.

I am open to any other suggestions though!

20 minutes ago, shaunf17 said:

I am open to any other suggestions though!

Probably best to start a new topic in the relevant forum when you are ready to decide with some supporting photos so that people can see what the deal is. We have a few people who are / have insulated their older properties who can no doubt say what they did.