I bought all the tools, now what.

jayroc2k

It’s been over a year since we competed the whole house renovation and now my power tools sit unused in the basement, I lost my mojo to complete the last few tasks like shelves etc even though I bought the tools to “save money”. 

They are all Titan or wickes brands and therefore no resale value. Just keeping them like trophy heads of hunted deers! Or does one’s DIY mojo return years down the line?

i have over 10 power tools from track saws to routers. I guess I can become a youtuber reviewing Titan tools and become a YouTube millionaire

ideas?

I'd be inclined to hold onto the lot but I'm a bit of a tool hoarder and am still up to my eyes in 2nd fix so doing loads of DIY. 

I would say even if you aren't massively inclined to do DIY you should at least hang onto the basic stuff. Even simple DIY will want a corded drill, a cordless drill and an impact driver. Perhaps a cordless circular or jig  saw. Maybe, just maybe an oscillating saw if you have one for that fiddly little cut you'll need to do in 5 years. You will have odd little jobs to do over the years that you'd otherwise put off or never do for want of a tool.

It's sunk cost now, and if you really think there's no resale value (I dont know much about titan but could you get at least 30% back on eBay given they must be like new?) then you could either freecycle them or just tuck them away in case the DIY urge comes back, storage permitting.

I know some DIY'ers who use cheap brands and find them great value. I guess for self builders, considering whether you might keep the tool or sell on at the end is a factor. Good  quality, well cared for gear will be easy to re-sell but professionals will shy away from cheaper stuff. All my cordless gear is Makita and my corded stuff tends to be Bosch blue. Not cheap but I've looked after them and could sell on, but actually I've really enjoyed the DIY and the grand or so I spent on additional tools has saved me tens of thousands in saved labour.