Retrofitting socket air tightness

oliviaaa999

Hello everyone! I have read a few posts about this but can’t find much on the actual specifics so I'd really appreciate any help.

We currently have plastered/painted walls and the electrician is about to finish the sockets, but we are hoping to make them as airtight as possible first as we are using the plaster for the start of the envelope. I did ask for airtight backboxes to be used but it looks like they’re just the regular ones? So looking for retrofitting advice!

• Should we try to seal every single gap visible (the small holes at the back/around screws, the gap between the box and plasterboard and the hole around the wires)?
  • What should we use to do this? We are considering orcon-F but we absolutely want to make sure it’s 100% safe. I'm also just not sure if this is most efficient/affordable way to seal or if there's a better product to use?
  • Is it okay to seal around the cables? It seems like a very permanent fix and we’re worried in case something needs to be adjusted in the future?

Extra Q, we have put light switch sockets in just in case, but we are going with a smart lighting switch system so will not be using them. Should we just tape over these completely (or cover with membrane and tape around the edges), or seal them in the same method as the plug sockets (which would be a bit more thorough)?

I've attached a few photos to show the current state of the sockets.

Thank you so much!

454626352_373905745757693_1095014800005333824_n.jpg

455956707_26521621290818362_4349552728405930525_n.jpg

i personally went round the sockets with Illbruck FM330 foam, didnt seem to do any harm but i dont get any drafts anyways as im pretty sealed up. Could use foil tape over the screw heads if you are that bothered.

Im not sure what you mean about the light sockets, you mean you are not going to put physical light switches in at all and just use smart full stop? im not sure thats wise if so, what if the smart hub goes down, you'd be goosed.

Loop at switch is a good idea though.

On 30/08/2024 at 14:46, Super_Paulie said:

i personally went round the sockets with Illbruck FM330 foam, didnt seem to do any harm but i dont get any drafts anyways as im pretty sealed up. Could use foil tape over the screw heads if you are that bothered.

Im not sure what you mean about the light sockets, you mean you are not going to put physical light switches in at all and just use smart full stop? im not sure thats wise if so, what if the smart hub goes down, you'd be goosed.

Loop at switch is a good idea though.

we've gone for a super reliable smart system (lutron) so it should be solid, but ended up adding the wiring and boxes for normal switches as a backup :) 

With the foam, did you just seal the edges or the holes inside the box as well (back holes and around wires)? Did you find it easy to 'control' the foam as I'd be worried it'd just go everywhere! 😅