Party Wall - North London Ground Floor flat side infill

In addition to my other posts in other parts of the forum I thought I'd add an addition here as party wall is occupying a lot of headspace at the moment.

For our little end of terrace North London ground floor flat side infill extension we've got 3 party wall agreements:

i) terrace wall ie. our direct neighbours

ii) the 2 other leaseholders above that we share the freehold with

iii) a garden boundary wall  

The entire plot aside from the communal entrance way and bin shed is demised to the ground floor flat lease. Extension is in blue below:

image.png.61715ae917ce891ce049a3311fa934e1.png

I have kept all neighbours informed from the conception of the planning and development of the project to this stage. With planning now awarded I'd like to get to the project underway and have a few builders who can start within 8 weeks. However, I've got the issue of party wall to deal with first and this is where I need advice. 

I would like to be able to furnish my neighbours with as much knowledge about what we're going to be doing, how we'll do it and the possible risks involved. I'm not sure that a 3rd party surveyor would be in the best place to do this when the intricate details lie with the contractor, structural engineer and myself? Indeed, some of the finer details are not known yet.  

For example if I had instructed a party wall surveyor for the garden boundary wall party a few weeks ago and they issued a Line of Junction notice for new wall up to (but not astride) the boundary would they know that my builder would intend to clear the vegetation and create a hoarding 1m over the line to enable the digger to dig the strip foundations and bricklayer to work on the new brick and block wall? Just asking what the situation is when things come to light after the signing of the consent?

Garden Boundary Wall - Line of junction notice new wall up to the boundary. I've already discussed this in principle with the freeholder and it was agreed that we could knock down the existing garden wall, clear the foundation and build new foundation and wall up to the boundary line. However, as mentioned above, having spoken to some contractors it looks like we'd actually need to hoard off 1m over the boundary and clear out some 2-3 m vegetation. I'll put in an allowance for making good where possbile (although I'm not keen on any roots near my new foundation!). I intend to use the standard Letter 6 template from gov.uk as the basis for the party wall notice.

Our building - 2 x leaseholders, 1 x freeholder - Party Structure Notice / Notice of proposed works under section 6 of the Act - Excavation and construction detailling structural method and drawings. I have had some advice here suggesting that I should pursue a licence to alter from the freeholder as well. Yet to have the detailed conversation with my fellow freeholders but they are aware of the scope of works. Most of the builders I have spoken with have suggested they'd rather demolish the existing single storey outrigger and build up again. That will effect the upstairs terrace (although I'm not sure who 'owns' the terrace, or even if it is a terrace or just my roof with railings around it)?

Terrace Party wall -  Party Structure Notice / Notice of proposed works under section 6 of the Act - Excavation and construction - we'll be digging new strip foundations within 3 metres to a depth of around 1m. The existing ground floor slab will be broken up and new floor constructed. Also need to place padstones into the party wall to support steels. Hoping to get the steels as high up as possible.

I think we're looking at around £1000 inc VAT per consented party wall agreement. I reckon licence to alter will probably run the same so perhaps £6,000 inc VAT worth of legals.

Given I've put a lot of effort into researching this topic (and I'm hoping I may also have a few pointers from the kind members of this forum!!!) I was thinking it might be a good strategy for me to issue the Party Wall notices myself along with as much method statement and easy to follow diagrams and risks/making good etc?  I will nominate a party wall solicitor in my letter and if anyone wants to dissent then the solicitor can handle it?

Any advice gratefully received. 

• 4 weeks later...

I ended up producing all of the party wall notices myself. Some surprises here as I had my suspicions about who would sign and who wouldn't. In the end I have 2 signed off with one being the terrace party wall and the other the top floor (and least effected) leaseholder. The one I thought that would be the most likely to sign (garden party wall) had a change in heart and wants to appoint their own surveyor and not the one I suggested. Still waiting on their choice and indeed I may choose to use them to deal with the other leasehold party wall that hasn't yet signed. This is going to hold up things for a while I suspect.

During the course of this it has also emerged that tenants with a tenancy agreement of greater than 1 year also require a party wall notice so I've had to put together another one!

I haven't enjoyed this bit of the project at all as it really feels like it puts you at the mercy of potential unscrupulous party wall practitioners who will be happy to throw a spanner in the works.