Conversion cost savings help

Has anyone noticed a significant increase in material costs and quotes for home extensions recently?
I've been researching my upcoming project, and prices for essential materials like timber, steel, and insulation have increased quite a bit. Additionally, quotes from builders and contractors are higher than expected based on last year's rates.
I would love to hear from others who are on the same boat. How are you managing these rising costs? Any tips for negotiating or finding better deals?

Depends on where you are. Where I am in Perth & Kinross trades are still in high demand. I need some landscaping done. There’s a company about half a mile away. Dropped by the other day to discuss it with them. They don’t have a free slot until next year. Same with fencers. I have friends that have been waiting for months to get their house finished as they just can’t get any trades to come and quote let alone do the work. 

As for materials. I found timber and sheet materials had come down in price and merchants willing to haggle a bit. 

24 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

Depends on where you are. Where I am in Perth & Kinross trades are still in high demand. I need some landscaping done. There’s a company about half a mile away. Dropped by the other day to discuss it with them. They don’t have a free slot until next year. Same with fencers. I have friends that have been waiting for months to get their house finished as they just can’t get any trades to come and quote let alone do the work. 

As for materials. I found timber and sheet materials had come down in price and merchants willing to haggle a bit. 

Cheers Kelvin, based in Lincolnshire. I've got a mate whos an electrical engineer, he's put me on to a rusty old rsj. If you want good work and experience I guess its worth paying, I've left it a year an the costs are up by almost 20% (overall quotations) 

High cost doesn’t guarantee good work unfortunately! Inflation has only started recently coming back down to target levels but that’s just a slowing of price increases. People have gotten used to paying higher prices for stuff so the higher prices stick. No let up on demand for trades. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/07/2024 at 21:33, twice round the block said:

Big labour and skill shortage in the building and associated trades, same as there is for mechanic's.

Mugs game when you can earn more money pushing a mouse around, than doing hard labour.

Yeah - that is true! or making videos