Structural Engineer recommendations - South area of Hampshire?

I've been waiting 8 weeks (after being quoted 4-6) for a structural engineer to come back to me with the calculations and thoughts on our dormer extension. Finally get a response to a chase up and clearly he's not even started working on it, drawn a few red lines on top of my plans and suggested a combination of 4 steels be installed which during the site inspection we'd already covered the fact that they can't be fitted, and to top it all off the steels indicated transmit the load down onto... thin air. Because there is nothing below the steel post.

More than one neighbour has achieved exactly what I want to do with zero steels being used, but unfortunately their places have since sold and the new owners don't know the SE used. 

So I'm in search of recommendations for a structural engineer preferably in the South of Hampshire that is reliable and doesn't just answer every question with "stick steels in there". Especially not steels that hang in mid air to transmit load... 

12 minutes ago, Redbeard said:

The one I have used in Yorks has a branch in Fleet, North Hants. Not South, I am afraid...

Not a million miles away, if they're good I don't mind paying a bit for them to travel down if that's needed. I am just desperate now for someone that will actually listen and look at what I'm saying, rather than just "slap steels in". One of the people who came highly recommended couldn't even grasp that as it was built as a chalet bungalow the current "roof space" is already built as living accommodation - they wanted to add steels on top of the joists and run 200mm joists in... on top of the 200mm joists that have been there the last 80 years! 

I don't know anyone that way and bit far for me but would you mind putting up some snippets of plans? I am intrigued by them thinking they need steel.

2 hours ago, George said:

I don't know anyone that way and bit far for me but would you mind putting up some snippets of plans? I am intrigued by them thinking they need steel.

Apparently due to Wind Load. I wouldn't mind so much but the whole point of the site visit he did was to discuss the fact that steels aren't really viable due to access without taking the whole roof off and starting again. Waiting 8 weeks for a reply that states the one thing that our initial conversations showed were not viable... and to add the fact that the main supporting steel post for those steels would be hanging in mid air, and to fit would mean removing the staircase, a major supporting joist and once finished would mean the lounge doorway would have a post obstructing it, when neighbours have had the same basic thing done with no steels at all... Not a happy bunny.
image.thumb.png.1345456f67fdd8003e023236757571a6.png image.thumb.png.0965b102fc9d409f84260171891dd236.png

Thanks

It'd depend on where the internal walls are. If there aren't enough internal walls (allowing full roof trusses to span across and support the dormer) then you likely need steels to provide a ridge beam and dormer support. So it might depend on the internal layout and your neighbours might have something different that does allow it to work.