Stone and Rubble Wall Question

Posted (edited)

Hi,

I've an old stone cottage that has has cement render applied probably 60+ years ago and the walls aren't breathing as designed which is causing damp and condensation issues internally. I removed some render to have a look at the construction and I've attached a photo to illustrate. It's very rough and uneven and will require a fair amount work to make it good again. Has anyone else had a similar job and how did you get on? What problems arose? 

Thanks,

Robert

IMG_8431.jpg

Edited by RobertG
add a photo

Not sure I can tell from as much as I can see, but bear in mind that not all stone-built houses were built for 'show'. Some were made of poor-quality stone and always rendered (though probably originally with lime).I have seen a couple of badly-eroded houses which were 'de-rendered' and beautifully lime-pointed only to start deteriorating after a few frost/thaw/frost cycles. I only wonder just because this looks *very* random (as if 'not for show'?). Could be entirely wrong. What about nearby houses of similar style?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Hi Redbeard,

Thanks for your reply. There is a nearby house that is very similar in size, layout and construction and it looks as if it's painted but you can still see the brickwork around the widows and corners and uneven but comparatively smooth walls. I'll make a point of having a closer look next time I'm passing. I'm assuming you can re-render with lime to help with the drying of the walls. 

Edited by RobertG

23 minutes ago, Redbeard said:
2 hours ago, RobertG said:

I'm assuming you can re-render with lime to help with the drying of the walls. 

Yep!

+1

Also don't overlook the possibility that some of the damp may well be due to poor heating and ventilation. You may need to address those too.

• Like 1