Open Plan Diner/ Kitchen with conseravtory

Hi, at the moment I have a separate kitchen, and then a separate dining room leading on to the conservatory.  I am looking at knocking the wall between the kitchen and dining room and creating a kitchen/diner with an island, new roof on the conservatory with bi-folding doors - in other words all singing and all dancing, the full works space. See pics below. The trouble is I don't know where to start in terms of the planning etc.  I know someone who could potentially could do it - I will get him round, but I am wanting ideas, and want everything to be planned to the fine detail. Are there any websites/forums I can join, contact etc? I am based in the North East (Darlo). Thanks for looking, and any ideas comments would be appreciated. (apologies for the mess, we are having a sort out)

Floor plan.gif

open plan 1.jpg

open plan 2.jpg

open plan 3.jpg

open plan 4.jpg

So you will almost certainly require both planning permission and a building control permission.  You are likely to need a steel support in the wall you wish to open up.

I would however at this stage get a builder around.  They are likely to be able to tell you what is required.    Based upon your pics, it’s highly likely they will need to raise the ceiling height of the conservatory.  A builder will likely be able to advise whether they can do that or not as the conservatory structure might not be suitable for a new proper roof and MIGHT require to be rebuilt as a more robust structure and more substantial foundations to take a proper roof.  

If you’re replacing that plastic roof with a proper roof that will reduce light into your dining area.  You need to think about getting light into that area.  

my comments are all just ifs and maybes though, until you get professionals in.

be of no doubt this work will be a major disruption to you and quite a big job if you want it done right.   Including moving the WC.

you’ll have to put a mini temp kitchen in your livingroom during such a build.

everything you wish to do is possible.  If you have the money to do it.  

• Like 1

I'm not so sure you will need planning permission because you are not changing the footprint, usage or aspect of the building, but I'm not completely sure.

What you will definitely need, and what may be a challenge is building control. It may be a challenge because that "conservatory" doesn't meet latest standards and I expect that re-roofing will bring the project in to the latest regs - You definitely need some good advice - whether that comes from some of the more knowledgeable people here or an external professional, you will still need someone to draw up some plans for a regs application. You might want to consider just upgrading the polycarb to maybe a 5 ply, much better thermally rated material which would then still give you the light and still improve the useability. This might restrict your regs application to just taking down the wall, and ignore the "conservatory" - depends on your budget.....