Insulating (IWI) chimney external wall

larry

Hello

So, I've just finished with a full refurb of one of my downstairs rooms. I'm about to move onto the other - floor up, walls back to plaster, new suspended floor, wood fibre insulation on walls (1920s solid wall) is the plan. 

I'm not sure what to do about the fireplace. 

Obviously our approach will be different depending on whether or not we want to stick a log burner in (either now or in future), and if I'm honest I'm ambivilant on that. I also won't know what size the opening is I guess until I start pulling stuff back (at the moment there's just a panel covering up what I expect to be a slew of mummified pigeons). I've never had a wood burner before so this is new territory. 

Preumably, if we go down the wood burner route we'd need to get somebody to fit a liner down the chimney, which would then be insultated with Vermiculite held back in place with a closure plate?  But in that case, how do we insulate the back wall of the fire place - behind the stove?   (the external chimney is built half way out of the solid wall).

Thank you for feedback and sorry if an obvious question - just trying to think this through 

2 hours ago, larry said:

how do we insulate the back wall of the fire place - behind the stove?   

Vermiculite boards.

Do you live in an urban area? Do you have to travel a long way before you see any neighbouring properties? 

Do your neighbours have wood-burning stoves which make you cough on winter nights?

• Thanks 1

Thanks. OK, great. I'll read up on those.

We are small isolated town. I think neighbours in all directions have them and personally never mind the smell. 

The old coal fires, on the other hand, are/were something else. 

If I'm honest I doubt we'd use it loads. Just slightly comforting to have a backup source of heat...... And we are I guess going to do a lot of the labour anyway so if we do now is the time. 

I guess time to make some calls to get some prices as there's no way I'll be the one putting the liner down!

Thank you!