Securing aluminium windows

Guest Alphonsox

Guest Alphonsox

My 84 year old mother lives alone in a mobile home in rural Somerset. She has just got back from a 2 week holiday and has discovered that some low life has forced a rear window and burgled the place while she's been away. She has not taken this well and now feels unsafe in her own home.

I have spent the last couple of days trying to calm things, talking to the police and CSI etc (Excellent service). I now need to find a way of increasing security in what is an inherently insecure structure. In particular I need to find some way of fitting window locks or restrictors to some thin frame aluminium windows. (Entry was gained by using a jemmy to force the window - the latch bent sufficiently for the window to spring open). These windows still need to open for ventilation and need to be usable by an elderly lady. Does anyone have any thoughts on retrofit security for these types of window.

When I used to live in London we often had scumbags trying to break in. The only solution that seemed to work was fitting a grid of steel bars over any window at accessible height.

A bit overkill maybe, but it still allowed windows to be opened, and was effective - if you can live with the aesthetics.