Buying rural property

Hello All,

in the process of buying a rural property. Almost complete on it. 

There are a number of outbuildings which I would like to convert into useable space/workshops. Don’t plan to make them into living accommodation. 

Been researching, with a lot of help from this forum! 

At the moment based on my limited knowledge the idea is: steel frame, post concrete install, anchored (hopefully right terminology) onto the floor (around the current breeze block side walls). Kingspan external insulation. Then an internal insulation. Roof not thought much about. 

Been reading lots about planning and other aspects too. 

Look forward to getting stuck in with the build and forum. 

☮️

I couldn’t quite figure out whether you’re just planning on re-vamping the insides of existing workshops, or replacing some? Worth looking at the permitted development rules for outbuildings if the latter. Anyway welcome.

The side of the buildings are breeze block, so was thinking of keeping them. 

It’s all just thoughts and ideals at the moment. Ideally if possible I’d like to get planning permission to extend to make the big building 2 storey. In which case not sure if worth keeping the breeze block walls. 

Idea for keeping the breeze block walls is for extra insulation and soundproofing as I understand the kingspan external insulation isn’t very soundproof. This is If it is kept to one storey. The steel frame would be on the outside. 

Will be looking into finding structural engineers to design the frame. Also reaching out to planning. This may be a bit in the future. Still researching what’s possible.