Can’t change flow temperature on glowworm energy c30

Hi all,

we have a 1 year old glowworm energy c30 boiler, works a charm. Our setup is radiators, draytone TRVs with various settings for various rooms, wireless thermostat (always on, min temp 21 deg).

every time the boiler kicks in, temperature goes up to around 75 degrees, if required, which I believe is excessive.

I tried to adjust the flow temperature, like I did with the hot water temperature, and the boiler displays no.

how can I change this to, let’s say, 60 deg? I think that will be more than enough for our house.

thank you!

On 02/01/2024 at 22:19, johnhenstock83 said:

Hi all,

we have a 1 year old glowworm energy c30 boiler, works a charm. Our setup is radiators, draytone TRVs with various settings for various rooms, wireless thermostat (always on, min temp 21 deg).

every time the boiler kicks in, temperature goes up to around 75 degrees, if required, which I believe is excessive.

I tried to adjust the flow temperature, like I did with the hot water temperature, and the boiler displays no.

how can I change this to, let’s say, 60 deg? I think that will be more than enough for our house.

thank you!

This is when having a good read of the installation manual helps if you have it

I think 75 Deg is the default for the heating temp - you can change it in the diagnostic menu

d.71 should be where you adjust it

All glow worms seem to have differences in how to adjust parameters but fundamentally the process is the same

Don't know your particular boiler but on mine diagnostic codes/adjustments to parameters that can be changes is press and hold mode button for several seconds untll you see 00 then + or - till you get to 96 then press mode again you should see d00

Then you can scroll thro using + or - to get to d71

Press mode again and it will show the value - if it's 75 then it's almost certainly the one you want

Press - to decrease or + to increase - example change to 60

Press and hold mode to confirm and again to exit (it gets a bit sketchy about this point)

To check the setting has been saved start again and get to the same place - if the display shows 60 result it's remembered it

if it doesn't try a longer press of mode to make it remember it

A proper installation manual for your specific boiler model would tell you exactly what you need to do

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

thanks for replying, I managed to get a manual and you're right, that's the way to change it.

what I also found out is that our control that came with the boiler has some hidden settings. one of them was modulation. essentially, every time the boiler kicked on before, it was running at full power, heating everything up to 75 degrees and consuming a lot of energy. since I turned modulation on, the boiler only heats up to the required temperature. it's much quieter now and the temperature rarely goes above 60 degrees, as that's all it takes to keep everything at temperature. gas consumption seems to have go down a tad as well.

it's so sad that every boiler installer is only in to connect the pipes and the flue, really. no gas engineer cares about efficiency or talks to their customers about their boiler's capabilities.

thank you!

Edited by johnhenstock83
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, johnhenstock83 said:

thanks for replying, I managed to get a manual and you're right, that's the way to change it.

what I also found out is that our control that came with the boiler has some hidden settings. one of them was modulation. essentially, every time the boiler kicked on before, it was running at full power, heating everything up to 75 degrees and consuming a lot of energy. since I turned modulation on, the boiler only heats up to the required temperature. it's much quieter now and the temperature rarely goes above 60 degrees, as that's all it takes to keep everything at temperature. gas consumption seems to have go down a tad as well.

it's so sad that every boiler installer is only in to connect the pipes and the flue, really. no gas engineer cares about efficiency or talks to their customers about their boiler's capabilities.

thank you!

Unfortunately you are correct in the main but there are good heating engineers out there - you just need to track them down - my preferred gas engineer is really good but he jokes he's learnt a few things from me about setting up a boiler to suit the house or usage 😉

My 24kW Glow worm boiler is 10 kW min

I've range rated to 15kW because 24kW for HW with a 3kW coil is bloody stupid (15kW is still stupid but it modulates down to 10kW on HW real quick)

House heat loss at -2 deg is 4.5kW so 24kW for that is mental too but I run heating on timed slots and if I range rate it down to 10kW min the warm up times are extended and what I save in lower and slower I lose in needing longer timed slots

When your boiler isn't sized for heat loss and doesn't have a wide modulation ratio (or turndown) life is full of compromises

All you can do is work with the parameters you have to try to make the boiler work at it's best in the house it's in

PS Glow worms are a rabbit hole as far as parameters go esp ACT settings (Anti cycle Time)