Permission granted but might be changing direction

So, we currently have full planning permission for an Annexe in our garden, we are converting a carport and extending etc, however where we go to 95% complete, my mother-in-law died. So we are left in limbo now, not really knowing what to do with it, we are thinking of turning it into a den /Games room type building, but i'm getting confused on what's deemed as "sleeping" and "accommodation" the place has it's own kitchen and bathroom, but no one will actually be living there

The family will just be using it and most likely my two daughters will have the odd sleep over etc, really confused on what direction I should do, im thinking we just keep going and complete as is, but does anyone know if this will effect council tax if no one is actually living in it?

Depends a bit on the the planning permission. You may have obtained a valuable addition to the house which may enhance it's value at a later date. As for now if you just use it for family purposes then so be it. No-one comes and checks what it is actually used for after completion. As for council tax the local authority merely sends out the demands. It is the Valuation Office Agency that determines your house's banding for the council to use. As far as I can see it is a case of referring yourself to them for re-banding. Looking at their website unless that annexe is entirely self contained (which I doubt the planning gives approval for) I don't think you have to worry.

I expect, if you have PP for an annex for a relative to live in, that the decision notice says something along the lines of the annex is to be for ancillary use to the main building. My own PP decision notice includes "The proposal is for erection of a single storey outbuilding in the rear garden to be used as a garden room with use ancillary to the main dwellinghouse. "

The key is "ancillary" rather than "incidental". As far as I understand it, ancillary means that you can do anything in it that you would do in the main house, but it isn't necessarily a separate accommodation unit (own address, council tax, services bills etc.) or is rented out as a business.

If the PP says "incidental use", then it cannot become a separate accommodation unit, but my understanding is that if it is for "ancillary use" it can, and may or may not be subject to council tax depending on how it is used (by family etc or others). To avoid council tax implications I would ensure, if the council are involved, that you clarify it is only being used for incidental use even if the original PP was for ancillary use as an annex.

Edited by mr rusty