Levelling Floor on concrete slab (with timber battens)

delta9

Hi,

Looking for some help please!

Current concrete slab on ground floor (original 1960s+) is way out of level (approx 60mm in the worst areas)

Liquid Screed it all is an option to get it all level, but I've been looking for alternative options.

Any thoughts on battening the floor (with 20x45mm battens) using adjustable cradles to level the deck:

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/eurodec-adjustable-decking-cradle.html

The whole ground floor would be made up of:

DPM 1000 gauge laid down and up around perimeter walls

Cradles (minimum 10mm / Battens 20mm high)

Minimum 20mm insulation installed between the battens at the low areas, high areas would have thicker insulation i.e. 50mm)

18mm T&G chipboard floorboards or possibly use 3mm ply and(or) 15mm engineered flooring instead

Finished floor level (or to floorboard) would be about 50mm higher at the front door area, but the Upvc frame/threshold is about 70mm, so I think this would work out well.

Have seen people installing battens/floating floors in garage conversions, but not seen it being done throughout the whole ground floor....

The benefits I can see, is that the floor would be insulated, I have calculated it cheaper than having screed pumped, it's easier to install yourself.

Any thoughts on it ?

Thank you

I have battened an uneven floor just using ply packers, find the highest spot, start there and pack everywhere else to get a level. I didn’t use insulation (customer decided against it 🤷‍♂️) I then laid oak flooring direct to the battens.

• Like 1

Makes sense to go for a liquid DPM i.e. Blackjack

As we're doing away with the plastic cradles, I think 3x2's laid on the long side down would be better... That would give 38mm height with 15mm engineered oak = 53mm.

40mm PIR Insulation in between should fit... Allowing for packers so around 58mm finished floor.

After the deck has been levelled with packers etc I can then bond the void under battens to the blackjack/concrete with Sikabond MS adhesive, I think this will give a really strong sub base.

Does this sound ok? 😀 Cheers

Edited by delta9