Section 50 licence Staffordshire, Fowl Sewer and surface water

Robster 1973

Has anyone had any experience with a Section 50 licence?  In particular if New Roads and Street Works Act 1991, Highways act 1980 is been correctly applied by Staffordshire county council here.

I have made application to excavate the high way to connect a property I am building to Severn Trent foul and surface water drains.  However I am informed by Highways and the built country that I need to apply and pay for two licences.  I am of the opinion that this is  excessive  because  there is not twice the work for highways to do to issue the licences.

-One trench will be dug to connect to both drains which are adjacent at the same time.

-The drawing  and maps submitted for each licence would be identical.

-Severn Trent will make one inspection of the work prior to adoption.

-The contractor I have appointed also says one licence is required.

Not sure of the terminology, but the procedure when I did water and electric connections was that I had to pay for both, then water claimed the difference from electric  because they shared the trench and then they reimbursed me. As I understand it they make you pay for both in case of a stuff up, so it's your risk if two digs are needed, but in practice it should be ok. 

I had to deal with both companies and pay for both connections before they would liaise and share the info about the road closures etc.