Movement joint question

MarkW1979

A quick question I hope someone could help me with re: movement joints in blockwork.

Guidance suggests that in structures constructed of cement based materials (concrete blocks, artificial stone, concrete bricks, cement render and the like) then movement joints should be provided at 6m intervals and within 3m of corners, however re: the corners - does this mean within 3 metre in each axis from the corner, or just one per corner if that makes sense? (i.e. the difference between the 2 pictures - movement joint in blue):

Many thanks!

Screenshot2023-11-01at06_25_31.png.cbde515c137e35e4ebb99ea119f4d19b.pngScreenshot2023-11-01at06_25_15.png.3da5a38448352c58bda0c300fa3494fc.png

Have you got an engineer to help you?

Movement joint positioning isn't an exact science so some experience and technical understanding is needed. 

Generally MJs are only required in continuous runs of blockwork panels, not placed at 6m regardless of the rest of the geometry. Also windows are better dealt with using bed joint reinforcement rather than movement joints due to the complications of lintels etc.

Hi George,

Many thanks.

The engineer has done the drawings but the brickie has come on site and basically said that what has indicated is a bit excessive and plans to rationalise from 11 to 9. The 9 proposed (in orange on the drawing) seems to make more sense to me but I am just trying to understand the rationale for the SEs drawing.

Cheers,

Mark

Screenshot 2023-11-01 at 06.58.04.png

Is it a timber frame with a blockwork outerleaf? It may be that more MJs are needed than with masonry construction because on the face of it that is an excessive number of MJs.

However without seeing elevations etc I can't be definite.

Is this from a timber frame company engineer?