Inner wall dampness

Sealo0

Just wondering if someone could help?

As you can see from the photo the wall between and just below the window sill is damp. This is the upper part of an old chimney, which is closed off and the external part has been removed and the roofing partially renewed.  Also the outer part of the chimney (bricks) have been removed and replaced with waterproof render.

The central part of the dampness reads some 25/28% on a dampness meter !

Can anyone shed any light on this?

thanks in advance 

mike.

IMG_0438.jpeg

"As you can see from the photo the wall between and just below the window sill is damp."

And above, surely, unless my eyes are faulty. I cannot see below the windows but above seems to be 'blooming' (?moist?). So the chimney ran between the windows and out at the ridge, yes? We need external pics. Faulty verge-work? Faulty/porous brickwork??

More 'base data' please! Then the 'hive mind' will start buzzing. Thanks.

Hi. 

thanks for the reply, some more details. 

A persistent damp patch over the last 5/6 years.

Outside bedroom upper wall faces south, clear view of the sun, no shadows.  Chimney up from the lounge below, goes up on the outside of the bedroom through the hipped tiled roof. Lower outside part of the chimney goes through a lower floor extension, no damp there! Some years ago, an inspection of the upper chimney and apron were in poor condition therefore it was decided to remove both (apron & chimney). Roofing Contractor did both but seeming did a poor job in replacing the roofing felt. 

The dampness persisted!!

It was decided to redo the roof 2 years ago, tile and felt were removed new felt batten and replace tiles. 

This again to no avail, dampness still there!!

Again, redoing the hip but going further around the hip to include the hip ridge tiles, this time we included a dry verge (if that’s the right term) under the bottom row of tiles, into the guttering.  

The outer layer of bricks from the chimney, on the outer bedroom wall were also removed as the pointing and bricks were poor. This required a new lintel and wall of bricks these were then covered with a waterproof render. Leaving a small cavity, in the chimney, upto the level of the inner ceiling rafter.  

This again to no avail, dampness still there!!

It is now proposed to look at the ridge tiles beyond the point of the hip. 

The dampness is mainly centered between the two windows and not much below the window. My current contention is that the water is running down the centre roof rafter and over the wall plate, into the inner wall. 

The other thought is condensation in the Chimney but it seems that this would require a great deal of moisture, as the inner wall is showing some 28/30% on a meter.       

The fireplace in the lounge has been blocked via a Balloon but this was well after the dampness started. Albeit the fire in our time here has never been used.

Hope this helps. 

thanks in advance 

mike

IMG_0441.jpeg

As my old IPad doesn’t want to send photos to my new one! I’ll post another pic from that.

this is what it looked like after the chimney was removed,  ie the first attempt to repair. 

Hope this helps. 

Mike

684B482A-7200-4900-B797-266C1EDFCF95.jpeg

Managed to get some more photos today but from inside the loft, unfortunately I can’t get close because of the old water tank. I did try some weeks ago but the space is really tight. 

The centre rafter, referred to earlier seems to be the same colour as the rest in the area. There is evidence of a bees nest in that area, as you can see. 

so anyone got any thoughts? 

thanks in advance 

Mike

IMG_0443.jpeg

IMG_0447.jpeg