Planning for extension and renovation costs (Cardiff)

AdaminCymru

Hi all,

I recently moved to a 6 bed 1960's detached house in Cardiff. This would have originally been a 4 bed house but has been extended (not so well) in a few parts of the house over the years. 

Below you will see the existing plans, and the proposed plans and here is a description of what changes we plan to make. I wonder if any of you could give ballpark figures on build costs for this, I know no one can be specific without visiting but perhaps experienced members may be able to give an idea? We have not yet submitted plans and do not have structural engineer calculations. I need to work out if this is even viable before submitting for planning. 

Ground floor changes:

1: Build front porch and extend garage out in line with new porch

2: Move WC into part of the garage

3: Build utility room in another part of the garage

4: Demolish 2 x small ground floor extensions - rear left and rear right of house

5: Build a ground floor 28sqm single story extension to house a open plan kitchen, dining, living room area (knock down wall between living room 2 and kitchen) 

6: Build a outside store at the rear of the house for BBQ, garden furniture, garden tools etc

First floor:

1: Block off existing stairs to above garage extension (very awkward, cut into room significantly and build off centre from main stairs) and create new access via new hallway through existing front/middle bedroo.

2: Existing front/middle bedroom also to become ensuite and walk in wardrobe for master bedroom and to house new stairs into loft (stacked over lower stairs)

3: Remove existing stairs into loft and create new family bathroom in this space (this is where original family bathroom was housed)

4: Existing family bathroom to become a bedroom (as it was originally), and steal a bit of space from master to allow more storage 

5: Above garage extension is currently awful, sloped roof at front means head height not great - we will add a front shed style dormer (many houses have been approved the same, or full 2nd story). New dormer will allow for ensuite to be housed in this area

Loft:

Existing: Height height in loft about 1.9m currently and could be 2.2-2.3m. Loft extension (for unknown reasons) is made up of 2 small dormers with only about 10cm gap between them.

1: Remove existing dormers and rebuild with optimal head height / wider dormer, to house a bedroom, office and another bathroom

2: New access via new stairs

Summary:

• We will still have a 6 (or 5+ office) bedroom house - loose a bedroom on first floor (ensuite to master + walk in wardrobe) but gain a bedroom by converting existing family bathroom. 
  • We will have a more functional space downstairs for the family 
  • Loft and above-garage extension much more 'fluid' with the existing house 
  • Currently only 1 bedroom looks out onto the garden, the new plans we will have 4 with garden views

Additions:

House is currently in a dated but liveable state with original parquet flooring downstairs which we plans to keep and restore

Will need either full rewire or update in areas

Walls pretty good so maybe some / all skimmed 

Boiler may need to be changed along with other plumbing 

Sorry for the incredibly long post, 

I look forward to any thoughts

Thanks

Adam

Existing FF.png

Existing GF.png

Existing loft.png

Proposed plans.pdf