Services / Ducts / Pipes / Drainage for Future Pond

Conor

I'm planning quite a large pond/natural swimming pool (8mx4m) in the lower garden in the future / later in the year. We're putting in footings and retaining walls in a few weeks time so will need to put any services in place. The plan is for it to be connected to two other small ponds/ water features in the upper courtyard (a rock garden cascade and a wetland trough, acting as technical wetlands for water quality reasons). I'm reading up about the design, but not sure what I need in terms of the following:

1. Pumped flow out of the pond - 15m long and head of 5m required. I've assumed 50mm semi rigid pond pump pipes. Will run both all the way to the pond pump chamber.

2. Pump supplies controls - SWA to the pond edge/ pump chamber? Or is all pond stuff low voltage? Do I need a control / relay cables as well to level sensors in upper ponds? A couple 4 core from two remote ponds back to the main cover most needs?

3. Overflow / return pipe work. There will be a cascade system with a drain needed from the bottom "trough" back to the main pond ~10m with 1m fall- I'm thinking full 110mm PVC needed.

Anything else I'd need to bury between the house and the three different ponds?

• 5 months later...

Hi Conor.

What stage are you at?

Im in Tyrone and think I've missed starting this year but will be planning all winter and breaking ground in the spring. 

Happy to share resources and bounce ideas of each other if you're interested?

I've thought about using the same water for seperate water features elsewhere too but maybe your rock cascade in courtyard should be a standalone water feature with its own circulation and filters? 

definitely leave at least one big duct at this stage to future proof it maybe one for electrical and one you can pull a flexi water pipe up if you need to.

cheers

Trevor.

Next year I think Trev. We did a basic lawn this year but there's still loads of work to do so I didn't even place any ducts. We've simplified the cascade plan to a single run, starting with a boggy planted area, then an open swale with gravel bed and lots of planting. Total run should be a good 25m so plenty of opportunity for water filtration, meaning the actual pond can be 80% deep area and we can extend a boardwalk around it.