Help needed with driveway drainage rules

Sarah Nazmy

I was aware of the drainage rules for non permeable driveways and the contractor who quoted us said the block paving is permeable and a drain where it meets the pavement would not be required.

On trying to get the kerb dropped after the driveway was finished, the east Sussex highways agency insisted I cant have it done unless I have a drain...that yes it is a legal requirement even for the type of block paving we have...that it is not permeable as the contractor claims. The contractor was extremely rude and unpleasant and said he has done driveways 15 years and never had this issue, hes never heard of this rule!

IS it the law a block paving driveway needs a drain? (as water drains between the blocks!)or have east sussex highways got it wrong?

Is it possible to have one put the pavement side of the edge stones so I dont have to pay someone else to adapt the driveway and affect our guarantee?

Is it essential for a drain to have a soakaway or can it drain straight into the ground? There is already a dip where the wall used to be between the drive edge and the pavement and the very little water that runs off the driveway in extremely heavy rain runs straight into the ground, no puddles. There is no room for a soakaway unless the drain is further back from the road because of the wall each side.

Many Thanks for any advice you can give 😊