Thin Film PV

hrc

Hi all,

Due to planning I've had to submit for a dormer bungalow which has a standard 35deg slate/tile roof front but a 7deg roof (full width) to the rear.

I found a couple of 'old' systems of adhesive thin film PV panels about 5m long - just my span - great! No longer available

I see there is a lot of research and progress with thin film but the only systems I can find all seem to be commercial.

The technology appeals because i'm on a virtually flat roof and the thin film appears to be very forgiving of shading and low angles,

Has anyone any info of suppliers (not installers) or used them or anything?

H

We looked closely at using thin film on to a raised seam metal roof, in fact that's what our original planning approval was for.  We were forced to change to all-black in roof panels with slate because the thin film stuff was no longer available.

I checked again recently, as I was thinking of using it along a covered walkway we're going to add to the side of the house, but it seems that it's still unavailable.

I think that the main problem is that ordinary panels are so cheap that thin film systems, with their lower efficiency, can't compete and so aren't being promoted.

Agreed that the systems that appear on youtube videos (that first attracted me) seemed to be the answer on a relatively shallow pitch, on, say, a metal roof. These were no longer available.

There seems to be a lot of progress in obtaining 'high' yields from thin film with the best now reaching 19-20% efficiencies, better low angle and better shading performances. They appear to be used a lot in commercial applications especially in PV farms, unfortunately this does not appear to be coming thru to the 'domestic' market

Oh well, maybe when I finally get to build .....

In the meantime the alternative seems to be the in-roof systems