Insulating my home

2 hours ago, 31K said:

I have had a look and can see light, although it seems a little limited, is there a cost effective DIY solution to add vents into the fascia? I say fascia as the soffit is very narrow. I will also consider alternatives. Don't want any ventilation issues :)

you can buy facia/sofit vents though they might stick out like a sore thumb if they are fitted to the front of the facia after the fact. I'd also be concerned that unless you pull your plaster board down and try to follow a cold roof detail with tight fitting insulation between the rafters and a ventilation gap above and probably some air sealing ( and vapour control wouldn't hurt) that you may make things worse and just introduce more drafts and cold through them. You also like you say don't want condensation on your timber.

16 hours ago, Tims said:

you can buy facia/sofit vents though they might stick out like a sore thumb if they are fitted to the front of the facia after the fact. I'd also be concerned that unless you pull your plaster board down and try to follow a cold roof detail with tight fitting insulation between the rafters and a ventilation gap above and probably some air sealing ( and vapour control wouldn't hurt) that you may make things worse and just introduce more drafts and cold through them. You also like you say don't want condensation on your timber.

Thanks, I will have a look to see what options there are for discrete looking vents. I don't think they will be too noticeable from outside, unless you are looking for them. My only concern is water ingress.

I have opted for Rockwool RWA45 for the cold roof space. Struggling to source either of the Knauf products. This will give me a minimum of 50mm of ventilation space.

I will be cutting the slabs a little bigger than the space between the rafters and feeding them in through the pitched roof space. Hopefully it works! 

Due to condensation and ventilation issues inside the house I am planning to use a PIV (post trickle vent and bathroom extractor fan installations) to help draw fresh air in from the loft space. My thought is that this should draw air in from the eaves at a continuous rate.

Just got a dehumidifier to use during the colder months to tackle drying clothes etc.